Honored Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

I hope this isn't offensive to anyone, but I will never announce that someone is fat nor anorexic.

I wear PC as a badge of honor.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I hope this isn't offensive to anyone, but I will never announce that someone is fat nor anorexic.

@suzyQ3. But PC is such a silly phrase IMO, you can either be a nice person with manners or a rude nasty person. 

Trusted Contributor

About 100 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3. But PC is such a silly phrase IMO, you can either be a nice person with manners or a rude nasty person. 

I agree.

Announcing that someone is fat or anorexic is rude and nasty. It's not about "pc"

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I am right there with you @suzyQ3 .

I won't allow the very good, original definition of PC to be corrupted in the way so many words are today.

Trusted Contributor

Back when I was growing up, 70’s, I was considered curvy, because I had a tiny waist, ample bosom etc...I was 5’3 and 105 lbs.  don’t know when the word curvy became associated with being larger.  I agree with op, it describes a shape not really a size, you can be curvy and be a small person or a larger person.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

If you have no curves, what are you considered or called, a stick?

Honored Contributor

@stevieb 

Hey stranger! Where have you been?!

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Ditto. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with paying attention to how the words you chose to use can hurt and demean others. If I am in a public place & someone goes down *that* path, I will call them out. I do not want to be associated w/ people who are not considerate.

Re the word curvy....my body type has always been on curvy side. Which to me means that my waist is 8-10 inches smaller than my hips and/or  breast measurement. In my 20's & 30's my waist was about 10 inches different than my hips. These days with all the running I do, my hips are smaller, but my waist & bosom are larger. I for sure love Talbots curvy fit pants. They have been an awesome find...thanks to a Q poster for rec.

People come in all shapes and sizes.  Some clothes are more flattering than others and I do sometimes wonder if some people have neither mirrors nor friends to help guide them to more flattering clothes. But in the grand scheme, what people wear or what size they may be, don't mean jack.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

When I think of curvy, I think of Christina Hendricks, Beyonce, Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj. I don't consider myself curvy. I wear anything from a 2x-5x depending on the garment measurements and I'm an apple. I do refer to myself as fat. It's not an insult for me like it is for some women. And plus size for me is an acceptable term, it's a euphemism for fat.

What I don't get is some retailers who say sizes 14 and up are women's size. Whether you're a 2 or a 32, all adult females are women.