Valued Contributor

When de-cluttering clothes

[ Edited ]

What types of questions do you find helpful to ask yourself?  (Outside of does it fit? And, do you use it?)

I have heard of things like 'spark joy' or love.  I'm just curious if you have any buzzwords that help you in deciding to keep things or not.  I tend to over keep things.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: When de-cluttering clothes

[ Edited ]

How often do I wear it? 

Am I not wearing it because it just doesn't coordinate with my other clothes? If so do I want to buy other items so I can wear it?

Does it actually look good on me?

Do I have shoes that work with it? 

Have I tried new ways to get it to work? 

I've found if I'm considering culling something ( other than not fitting) that it's either because I can't fit it into my wardrobe or it's just not my style or it's not flattering. 

I've learned the hard way not to buy items that don't fit my style even if I like it. 

Either I can incorporate it into an outfit that I like or I can't. If I can't it needs to go. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not that cerebral about my clothes!

I do ask myself if it fits my lifestyle. That has resulted in ditching lots of suits and other more formal workwear.

I also cast a very critical eye about age appropriate which I know is a bit of a hot button issue here. That has resulted in ditching lots of clothes that felt and looked right once, but which make me feel like I'm trying too hard now (low rise jeans come to mind!).

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

Does it coordinate with other things in my wardrobe?

How often do I reach for it? When did I last wear it?

Does it make me look good and feel good/comfortable?

How many other items do I have in this color?

Respected Contributor

I keep a donation bag in my closet.  If I try something on and don't like how it looks, it goes in the bag.

Honored Contributor

If I haven't worn it in a year, in the trash and/or donation bag it goes w/o a 2nd look.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

If I haven't worn it or don't intend to wear it, out it goes.

If it's something that's trendy or very out of style, I'll get rid of it easier. 

If it was expensive and is something that doesn't go out of style, I will hang on to it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie_23

Good topic...bookmarking for ideas.

No one can beat me on the tends-to-overkeep meter!  Smiley LOL   I've been de-cluttering, too.   I think, other than vintage pieces, my oldest garment was around 16 years old, I kid you not!   So, I would add:  Even if I still wear it and it's in pretty good shape, get rid of it for pete's sake after a few years.   One thing I noticed (YMMV) is that I tend to feel, wrongly, that I'll never find another piece exactly like it, so I better keep it just in case.  SMH

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

I ask-

Do I feel pretty in it?

and Do I feel confident and comfortable in it.

And I'm including comfortable in literally but also age appropriate for me-for example, I no longer like those stretchy form fitting t-shirts that no matter what size you get they still cling. I think I'm getting more prudish lol!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

I keep a donation bag in my closet.  If I try something on and don't like how it looks, it goes in the bag.

I have one also. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval