Contributor

My simpistic view is it doesn't matter one wit what size you are.  We like/need to think if only this or only that, then we will be happy.  I'm probably older than most of you reading this.  I'll be 66 next Spring.  I'm what most of you would consider 'skinny,' 5'5",' 110 lbs.  Am I happy?  No.  I have jowls.  Please, Ladies, love who you are.  Please don't waste your precious, beautiful lives trying to achieve some perfection that only exists in your mind.  

(I read these boards often but very rarely post.)

Contributor

Life goes by very very fast.  One day, sooner than you dreamed possible, you'll look in the mirror and demand "When did that happen?!"  That's a promise, guaranteed.  So all I'm saying is, having goals is good, but I bet your size won't be on your tombstone.  Please don't judge me too harshly because I didn't articulate my feelings perfectly.

Respected Contributor

Not judging anybody, but people are are created to be lean, muscular ( men) and shapely(women). Shapely doesn't mean fat and obese. I am not thin either, I am 8-10 size, but I know when I do not display rolles and bulges I look much better. And it is tougher with age to keep myself from spilling from all over ☹️☹️☹️

Valued Contributor

@millieshops 

Thank you for sharing. I'm very impressed that you have so much courage to stay on the right path. It's very hard to do. I wish you good health and congratulations!! Woman Happy

@millieshops wrote:

@DJPYes, you may ask.

In early September of 2016, a scan of my carotid artery showed a blockage just a bit less than the level where the vascular surgeon said he recommends surgery to avoid a stroke.  He felt if I'd control the cholesterol in my diet and walk more, I could hold that blockage in place and not have to have surgery.

I changed eating immediately, attempting every day to hold my cholesterol consumption to the 300mg he suggested.  To me, it seemed impossible not to lose weight when I wanted most to hit that cholesterol goal!  Fortunately, I found that within a few weeks of eliminating the junk food I turned to when I had been too lazy to cook for myself, I was happy with my choices.

I've been a yo-yo dieter for years and years, so I know how hard it is for many of us to find a comfortable eating pattern that's also good for our bodies.  I'm hoping this time that there's no serious fallback because for me that means surgery.  Best reason ever to live better, no?

Respected Contributor

Image result for everybody is beautiful

Respected Contributor

Awhile back was having lunch with a friend...and all she did was go down the list of what physical traits are making her so upset!  Pointing out the 11's between her brows...crows feet...deep laugh lines...jowls!  Where she works a gyno office opened a spa place with it too...what a combo LOL...they told her she could get botox/fillers for free since she works there.  She's mentioned it before but stops short of it.  

I didn't have alot to say (wasn't going to start pointing out stuff on myself) just told her that we ALL will get that stuff...some abit sooner some abit later but if you live long enough you will get it.  So I put on some makeup and fix my hair...and well forget about it!  I can't do any of that stuff as I have rosacea and just thinking of putting something under the skin that I can't get off if I had a bad reaction is a NO go for me.  

But the cost and the up keep....it's just not worth it to me.  

She also has lost a good amount of weight this yr and looks very nice....she was upset about her hair too!  Had it abit longer but cut it off...said she hates it.  

I get it...I see photos of myself and think....I look older....I look like my MOM LOL!  

I'll never be 106lbs again like I was on my wedding day....I don't want to be....healthier for me to be 127lbs....have some muscles to protect my bones!

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the word "skinny." It seems derogatory to me, and conjures up images of being bony and anorexic. As women age, l think we need a little meat on our bones to avoid looking haggard. I won't be accused of being skinny, lol, but "slim" or "thin" are better word choices, IMO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: When You are Skinny....

[ Edited ]

The thin models look so good because there aren't any protruding rolls for the clothing to get stuck on.  Smiley Happy 

It's the person inside that matters and most of us know that, but I've always been one who believes it's best to accentuate the good parts and hide the bad ones.  Some people just don't care.  I work with one like that.  She's extremely large and wears things to the office that she just should not.  She looks terrible and people talk about her.  She doesn't make good clothing choices.  She chooses to wear leggings and really tight, very short (stomach fat roll skin exposed) tops and it's just not a pleasant sight.  For those of us who wear slim pants and appropriate tops, we're worried that the dress code will now be changed to rule out leggings/slim pants.

Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

I don't care for the word "skinny." It seems derogatory to me, and conjures up images of being bony and anorexic. As women age, l think we need a little meat on our bones to avoid looking haggard. I won't be accused of being skinny, lol, but "slim" or "thin" are better word choices, IMO.

Yep.  When you are skinny... you don't like the word skinny.  

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

Yep.  When you are skinny... you don't like the word skinny.  

@VanSleepy: Just to clarify b/c l think my wording wasn't clear-- I was never skinny, but l don't like that word anyway, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~