Super Contributor

Bonanzajellybean wrote:
Who is Kay Sara Sara?
😜🤣😜

A close relative of wa-lah...

@tansy I think this is the BEST forum reply I’ve ever read,

Valued Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

I dont know why people get insulted over these types of threads. 

It's been said since forever that a "thin woman can throw on anything and look good".

I have friends and family from size 2 to size 20 and they cannot all look good in the same things. Just can't. And when we get together, the size 20 will always make some kind of comment to the thinner girls like "oh, you guys always look good cause you're thin". And yet, I'm a size 8, used to be a size 4. Can't stand the way I look at size 8, exercise doesn't get rid of the thighs/hips so maybe to a size 20 I look good, but to me I don't. 

So the bottom line is doesn't matter what anyone says. Matters only how you feel.  Nothing here to be insulted about. 

As for Ashley Graham, she is a model, gets all dolled up by professionals. If she was an unknown size 16 woman walking into Walmart wearing a sweatshirt and joggers I doubt anyone would be looking at her thinking she's gorgeous. She'd be just a larger woman with a pretty face like millions of others out there. 

I think of all the models on QVC the one who wears clothes really well and always looks good is Brenda. She even makes LOGO look good and that's quite a feat. And she's not super skinny, just has a great shape. 

PinkSunset,  I so agree with you about Brenda.  Beautiful figure.  Also agree with PoodlePet2.  I've been almost a 5x and got down to a size 12.  Now I'm a 1x on good days and 2x on others.  Treated waaay better when I was a 12.  But I have never had a nice figure.  And clothes definitely looked better on me when I was a 12.  I think when this thread started it wasn't to be about health and social issues.  It's just a fact a thinner person can wear clothes better than I can and I'm not offended by it.  It's my fault that I don't have the discipline to keep my weight down and I'm envious of women who do maintain nice figures.

Respected Contributor

Because lean bodies are more attractive.  They reflect a healthier image.  One who exercises and takes care of oneself rather than someone whose body reflects over-eating.  And clothing on a leaner person will naturally look better.

Valued Contributor

Lisa Rinna looks fabulous and Ashley Graham is gorgeous. It's good that there are more shapes being represented out there. Many styles do look great on the slimmer models, but I've seen plenty of styles lately where I don't think it flatters them. You gotta work with what you've got.

Honored Contributor

I agree.  I'm not sure what size Pat James is, but of the "older" hosts, she always looks great in the clothing she chooses.

Esteemed Contributor

@makena wrote:

Because lean bodies are more attractive.  They reflect a healthier image.  One who exercises and takes care of oneself rather than someone whose body reflects over-eating.  And clothing on a leaner person will naturally look better.

Just because someone is lean doesn't always mean hea!thy. IMHO, Lisa R does not look healthy or appealing. Watching her on RHOC, she is too thin. She does not look good in the clothing she choses to wear on the show.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in CaliforniaTruly -  I don't think we've come anywhere near far enough, but at least the doctor who "persuaded" me to change my life commented only on the health aspects when I returned to him.  He never even mentioned anything about appearance.  Kudos to him for his focus, I say -  that's what persuaded me in the first place.

Honored Contributor

@DJPYes, you may ask.

In early September of 2016, a scan of my carotid artery showed a blockage just a bit less than the level where the vascular surgeon said he recommends surgery to avoid a stroke.  He felt if I'd control the cholesterol in my diet and walk more, I could hold that blockage in place and not have to have surgery.

I changed eating immediately, attempting every day to hold my cholesterol consumption to the 300mg he suggested.  To me, it seemed impossible not to lose weight when I wanted most to hit that cholesterol goal!  Fortunately, I found that within a few weeks of eliminating the junk food I turned to when I had been too lazy to cook for myself, I was happy with my choices.

I've been a yo-yo dieter for years and years, so I know how hard it is for many of us to find a comfortable eating pattern that's also good for our bodies.  I'm hoping this time that there's no serious fallback because for me that means surgery.  Best reason ever to live better, no?

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

“.......more attractive.......” to whom? Perhaps to you, @makena, but perhaps not to everyone posting here. And certainly I’ve known very heavy men and women who are meticulously groomed, and thin, trim people who perpetually look as though they just rolled out of the floor of a dusty closet.

Further, “.........body reflects overeating.....” may or may not reflect reasons for individual differences in body size.

Finally “.....clothing on a leaner person.....”may or may not look “better” because, once again your personal perception of “better” may be very different from that of someone else.

As someone who has spent most of my life being morbidly obese, I couldn't possibly care less what you choose to say about fat people or thin people or even leaner people or healthier people, but bear in mind that such generalizations really don’t go very far to impress people who attempt to converse in rational, objective discourse.

Respected Contributor

@violann I'm not trying to impress anyone.