Respected Contributor

Re: When You Go Shopping, Do You Stay With The Sames Sales Person?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Well, I must be the only one who prefers to use sales staff only as a last resort!  

I prefer to browse and then  slip into the fitting room when I find things to try on.   More than once I was asked at the register who was helping me and I replied I helped myself.    Sorry, but I just prefer to shop unassisted!

I'm with you.  Personally, I prefer to be left alone until I go to the register.

Respected Contributor

yes, i try to have the salesperson who helped me ring me up or i make sure she gets the sale.

i have a personal shopper at nordies.  i like her because she has known me for years, thus knowing what i like.  it is extremely rare that i shop with anyone else.

Honored Contributor

Re: When You Go Shopping, Do You Stay With The Same Sales Person?

I shop mostly in Belk & Macy's for clothes & shoes, sometimes Penney's & Kohls.   Can't remember the last time someone offered to "help" me.    Or even smile at me or say hello. I get better customer service at Publix.  But  I'm a low maintenance shopper so when the hunt is over, right to the counter I go.   I seem to be nameless, faceless to them as they are to me.

@ECBG wrote:

Are you aware that sales people have several functions?

Not only do they ring you up, they also straighten those beautiful stacks, colorize, and size most things in their department.

One of the ways they make raises is not only for the department being handled properly but for sales.

If a sales person waits on you, do you take that sale to the person who helped you?

Somewhere that sale counts.  It may be a raise, over all sales, or affect their hourly pay.

(Many B & M stores are running a skeletin crew because of all the internet shopping and stores aren't adequately staffed.  If you need to complain, email corporate.  That's the only place it counts.).

Were you aware of this?

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Whenever  I need help none is coming. LOL They're either on their cell phones, talking to their comrades or their friends come up to them and start talking about old times.

I keep wandering around till I find it myself. LOL

I see this too.

I often get annoyed by the cashier asking, "Who helped you today?" because most of the time when they ask that, my answer is "Nobody."  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

In my area, there are no sales people to help you.  I even have to hunt down someone to ring ring up my purchases.

Usually commission is paid on shoes, jewelry and cosmetics only.  In those departments., you can always find someone to wait on you.

I do not buy shoes,jewelry or cosmetics in department stores, so I'm on my own.  

I know the department stores in my area have a daily goal you're supposed to meet in sales even in non commission areas, but most of the employees are young college kids and work part time.  They are no where to be found.

@Carmie,If you aren't on commission, you are on sales per hour which is averaged twice a year.

I don't think the part time employees last 6 months in my local stores.  There are few sales people in our local stores. I have had to take clothing purchases to the housewares dept to get rung up which was on a different floor.  And, that was in Macy's.

i am sure things are different elsewhere.  Christopher and Banks and Bath and Body Works are the only stores that I can think of that have any sales people with good customer service skills.

Many stores don't even have a Customer Service counter anymore.  You make your charge payments right at the register.  There is no gift wrap either.  Those days are gone.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Well, I must be the only one who prefers to use sales staff only as a last resort!  

I prefer to browse and then  slip into the fitting room when I find things to try on.   More than once I was asked at the register who was helping me and I replied I helped myself.    Sorry, but I just prefer to shop unassisted!

Totally agree. I don't like to be stalked by sales people. I have been known to to like and want an item, walk around with it a bit only to be stalked by a clerk. If that happens I will burst her bubble and put it down and walk out. I have had clerks tell me something looks fabulous on me when I knew it looked horrible just so they could make their quota. Leave me alone, if I need something I will ask or get it online.

Honored Contributor

In many stores in my area, there are separate women who ring up the purchases from those who assist you on the floor.  In that case, the women ringing up the purchase asks if anyone helped you and if so, who.

My mom worked in Macy's. She was paid hourly.  Period.  She wasn't on commission, her "sales" weren't counted, etc.  The only requirement she had was X amount of new credit card applications. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back in the days when nicer stores had professional sales persons it made a big difference. These days, at the brick and mortar stores I frequent most, they no longer exist. It's pretty much self-service and check out is at the register... Like everything else, for the most part, 'going shopping' has bowed to mass society and what used to be a far more pleasurable 'special occasion' really no longer is what it used to be...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

No. If one helps me out and I get  name, I mention it at the register, but usually I don't want or need help unless I'm looking for a specific item or need to try something on in a fitting room. I would much rather be left alone unless I ask for someone to help me.

Some stores, like Sephora, have too many sales associates and they ALL try to assist me, even when I don't want them to because I'm just browsing or I already know what I need and where it is. I can go in there and have 6 different sales associates as me if I need help. If one does help me with something, I do mention it at check out, but otherwise, no.

Honored Contributor

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm with you.  Personally, I prefer to be left alone until I go to the register.

For the most part, I agree... The problem is it seems that when you want or need assistance there's none to be had!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...