Honored Contributor

When You Go Shopping, Do You Stay With The Same Sales Person?

[ Edited ]

Are you aware that sales people have several functions?

Not only do they ring you up, they also straighten those beautiful stacks, colorize, and size most things in their department.

One of the ways they make raises is not only for the department being handled properly but for sales.

If a sales person waits on you, do you take that sale to the person who helped you?

Somewhere that sale counts.  It may be a raise, over all sales, or affect their hourly pay.

(Many B & M stores are running a skeletin crew because of all the internet shopping and stores aren't adequately staffed.  If you need to complain, email corporate.  That's the only place it counts.).

Were you aware of this?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: When You Go Shopping, Do You Stay With The Sames Sales Person?

I used to always go to the same sales people in the good old days when my favorite stores had regular full-time sales staff.  These days  -- even in some of the prestigious stores, many of the staff are part-timers and work flexible shifts.  Therefore, you are subject to having different sales staff working on the floor even if each visit to the store  takes place around the same time and day of the week.  There are exceptions to my perception, and those places tend to get more of my brick and mortar business.  My favorite local independent shoe store is a wonderful example.  Not only it is a thriving small business, but the staff is mostly full-time, professional shoe salespeople.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I work with the same sales people as much as I possibly can.  I even call ahead to ask when my favorites will be working when I have enough flexibility to shop during their hours.

Although I worked a salaried job, I grew up in a small business family and from a very young age learned the power of developing a following.

Esteemed Contributor

Since I do a lot of my shopping at small local boutiques, I am loyal to my sales associates.  If I have ever gone home to think about a purchase, I am even so bold as to ask if they work on commission.  I want to make sure the person who originally helped me gets paid for that assistance should I come back the next day to purchase.   

Honored Contributor

If the sales person helped me, I would have them ring me up.  

Trusted Contributor

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue for many years.  As I was a part timer (eves & Sunday), I didn't really have my "own" clients.  And a lot of women would come in, have me help them and then tell me "have Mary (or whoever) ring this up for me".  Woman Sad

Very frustrating because even though we were part timers, our raises were based on whether or not we made our goal.  So I would tell Mary, or whoever, that I helped their customer and hoped that they would ring me up as an "assist".

So I am extremely careful about who helps me and who rings me up no matter what store I'm in.

Respected Contributor

Of course. Doesn't everyone know this? If someone helps me, I take it to them to ring me up.

Valued Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue for many years.  As I was a part timer (eves & Sunday), I didn't really have my "own" clients.  And a lot of women would come in, have me help them and then tell me "have Mary (or whoever) ring this up for me".  Woman Sad

Very frustrating because even though we were part timers, our raises were based on whether or not we made our goal.  So I would tell Mary, or whoever, that I helped their customer and hoped that they would ring me up as an "assist".

So I am extremely careful about who helps me and who rings me up no matter what store I'm in.

@roeroe1005

I love shopping at Saks.  I look forward to the same person helping me, but, of course, I would always want whoever helped me to receive full credit for the sale.

Honored Contributor

In my area, there are no sales people to help you.  I even have to hunt down someone to ring ring up my purchases.

Usually commission is paid on shoes, jewelry and cosmetics only.  In those departments., you can always find someone to wait on you.

I do not buy shoes,jewelry or cosmetics in department stores, so I'm on my own.  

I know the department stores in my area have a daily goal you're supposed to meet in sales even in non commission areas, but most of the employees are young college kids and work part time.  They are no where to be found.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom and grandmother not only knew the names of the salespeople in their favorite stores, but they also knew their schedules!  If one wanted a new pair of shoes or a dress, they wouldn't go shopping if they had the urge.  They'd wait until they knew their favorite people were working.  When we went, they were treated like royalty--so no wonder they always waited to shop when those people were working.

Around here the sales staffs change frequently, so I haven't had a chance to get to know anyone.  However, I do make sure to give the sale to the person who helped me or greeted me.