Honored Contributor

Whatever Happened To Shell Tops/Blouses?

I think they went away when suits became less popular for women. When workplaces became more casual. 

I've been looking for one in black to go under an emerald   green suit that has a rounded neckline and rounded lapels. The lapels have pleated detail on them, so the shell should be perfectly plain.

I'm talking about washable silk, poly, rayon, or blends. Short sleeve shells. When I worked at Marshalls many years ago they had racks full of them. They sold suits back then too.

I want short sleeve, not sleeveless. Sleeveless are more plentiful. Thinner and silky, for good fit under a jacket. You can layer those under so many things other than blazers or suits.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened To Shell Tops/Blouses?

@Greeneyedlady21

Check out one of SG's essentials items ... lots of colors.

Honored Contributor

Talbots has them.  Also check Dillards.  They sell quite a few suits in the Antonio Melani brand which is beautiful quality.

Respected Contributor

I like them especially in leather. It's not easy to find them in colors beside black these days. Maybe next fall/winter.

Esteemed Contributor

try penneys or sears

Honored Contributor

The b&m stores like Neiman's and Saks might have what you are looking for but no one is calling them shells anymore.  That comes from the 80's and perhaps that is why you cannot find what you are looking for.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  Yes they are still called shells, you can type that in Google and all kinds of sites still call them that. Cheaper sites, more expensive, and everything in between.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

You can find them in the lines for Calvin Klein, Ellen Tracy, Karl Lagerfeld, Nine West in the suit department at Lord & Taylor and other department stores who carry these lines.

I sometimes find them at Stein Mart and Marshalls.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I still wear a suit for certain meetings and trips to our corporate HQ.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  I still wear suits to church in the winter months, to political meetings, funerals and weddings in cold weather. They are appropriate for so many situations. I like the Linea whisper knit short sleeve (round neckline) top if unable to find a good silk shell. Keep an eye out for his tops; he changes colors from year to year (black is a staple). Just purchased a couple of LDO's short sleeve tops (a deep red and a forest green) for this fall. Very well made, comfortable and classic styling.

Money screams; wealth whispers.