Respected Contributor

Re: What would you wear to a Broadway show?

@nova wrote:

@JJsMom   Congratulations if you are going to a Broadway show!  You will have a wonderful time!  I usually wear black pants & a pretty top.  Keep in mind when you are in NYC you will be doing A LOT of walking so wear comfortable shoes.  I don't know where you live but driving cross-town  is a nightmare so be prepared to walk or take mass transit.  If you have to drive go online & get a coupon for ICON parking lots near the theater district.  You will save a lot of money as parking is expensive.  Don't worry about getting too dressed up - not many people do.  Relax & enjoy the show!  

Thank you! We will be walking everywhere and taking public transportation. I would never try to drive in NYC. lol

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@JJsMom , yes you will see everything...people all dressed up and people in jeans.

The last live performance I went to our our Arts Center was The Nutcracker, evening performance.  The best sight for me was all the little girls all dolled up for a night on the town.  There was a little girl, under five, next to me, and she never moved a muscle during the entire performance.  She was glued to the stage.  I was impressed and she was cuter than a button!

Enjoy your show.  LM

That is so sweet. I envy you if you live in NYC and have easy access to all they have to offer!

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I think the venue matters. I think in a small more intimate old theater people tend to dress accordingly.

It's been years since I've been to a 'show', and never actually in NYC on Broadway but we did dress up.  Even for the afternoon showing of Lord of the Dance! lol (but not super dressy)

It's at Gershwin Theater on Broadway. I don't know anything about that particular theater, but I don't think it's massive.

Respected Contributor

DD and I went to NYC for a girls' trip and went to a Broadwsy show.  We dressed nicely, not formal, but special occasion clothes.  We were so over dressed!  Most others in the audience had very, very casual wear on.  So dress for comfort! 

Esteemed Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I think we are seeing the daytime show, and it'll be in the spring. We will be in the Gershwin Theater. I am so excited!

It sounds like I don't need to get too dressed up, which is kind of a relief, since it's a family affair. I didn't intend on wearing jeans or loungwear or anything like that. Based on everyone's suggestions I think I'll go with black pants and a nice sweater and wedge loafers.

Thank you, everyone!

Sounds perfect.  Looks like you may be seeing Wicked (?), which has an added casual element of many younger people attending. Afternoon show and youngsters usually equal plenty of jeans.   I would still go with what you’re wearing; no reason not to look a little dressed up.  But, no need to get too dressy.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

Sounds perfect.  Looks like you may be seeing Wicked (?), which has an added casual element of many younger people attending. Afternoon show and youngsters usually equal plenty of jeans.   I would still go with what you’re wearing; no reason not to look a little dressed up.  But, no need to get too dressy.

I am seeing Wicked! I thought of that too. Wicked probably attracts younger people, so it's probably more casual. I'm feeling much more laid back about packing now. :-D

Frequent Contributor

No one dresses for Broadway anymore.  The most casually dressed are the matinee attendees.  You will find shorts in the summer with t-s; plenty of jeans.  The evening is a tad more dressed.  I don't go to the theater all that often but when I do -- unless I am coming from work -- I wear jeans.  It also depends what you are doing before or after the show.  If you are going to a nice restaurant, I would dress a bit more.

viewer 45