Honored Contributor

Re: What would you wear to a Broadway show?

People really don't get dressed up.  However I don't like looking like a slob either and since I'm not a dress person I'll wear nice pants (usually black or gray) with a nice top, jacket (or cardigan) and accessories.

Honored Contributor

I don't see anyone in formal wear at Broadway shows anymore.  In fact, I've seen people in jeans now, even for evening performances.

I generally wear clothes I would wear to work.    

Trusted Contributor

To a Broadway matinee I’ve worn a navy blazer, white shirt, dark jeans, and Cole Haan animal print block heeled shoes.  For the evening, I’ve worn a black dress with a wrap or a nicer pair of slacks and slightly dressier  top, depends on whether we’re doing dinner beforehand.   You’ll see anything and everything.  The keyword is comfort and it’s  pretty much wear whatever you want— no rules anymore. 

Respected Contributor

Very casual. Wear what is comfortable. Seats are very close together and you cannot move around. Anything goes, especially in the summer when there are many tourists seeing shows.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom   Congratulations if you are going to a Broadway show!  You will have a wonderful time!  I usually wear black pants & a pretty top.  Keep in mind when you are in NYC you will be doing A LOT of walking so wear comfortable shoes.  I don't know where you live but driving cross-town  is a nightmare so be prepared to walk or take mass transit.  If you have to drive go online & get a coupon for ICON parking lots near the theater district.  You will save a lot of money as parking is expensive.  Don't worry about getting too dressed up - not many people do.  Relax & enjoy the show!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom  Last time I was at a Broadway show it was Miss Saigon.  No one was dressed up.  In fact, some were in jeans.  Wear what makes you comfortable.  A pair of slacks, blouse or tee with cardigan or wear a skirt.  Enjoy.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

If it's a matinee, dress like you were going to a movie.  If it's in the evening, don't over dress unless you want too.  I wouldn't wear jeans for an evening show but I would wear a nice pair of dress slacks and a pretty top or cardigan.  Generally, I base how I to dress for an evening show on where we are going for dinner after the show.  No one gets super dressed up anymore, those days are over.  

Respected Contributor

black pants and a dressy top.  

Respected Contributor

I've never been to a Broadway show but I have been to an afternoon performance at Carnegie Hall, and I didn't wear jeans. It was the Christmastime and I wore black pants, black flats, and a sweater. 

If it was an evening performance I'd wear a dress, but nothing too fancy, business casual, and something I'd be comfortable in. I think it comes down to what your style and your comfort level is. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JJsMom , yes you will see everything...people all dressed up and people in jeans.

The last live performance I went to our our Arts Center was The Nutcracker, evening performance.  The best sight for me was all the little girls all dolled up for a night on the town.  There was a little girl, under five, next to me, and she never moved a muscle during the entire performance.  She was glued to the stage.  I was impressed and she was cuter than a button!

Enjoy your show.  LM