Respected Contributor

What would you wear to a Broadway show?

I have a confession: I've never been to a Broadway show. I have been to lots of community theater shows where the attire seems to be super casual.

What would you wear to a Broadway show? Is everyone super dressed up?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Valued Contributor

Re: What would you wear to a Broadway show?

People do not dress for a matinee.  Perhaps evening shows are a little dressier.  I've seen all kinds of dress at Broadway shows.  Dress comfortably.

Esteemed Contributor

@JJsMom - Sorry, to disappoint, however, I don't see anyone super dressed up anymore. 

Last time I went to a play, I think I wore slacks and a nice top. I've also gone in dark blue jeans with a top & jacket.

Respected Contributor

You will see everything when it comes to fashion.

If it's a matinee, I usually wear pants and a nice top.  At night I tend to dress up. (we usually go to dinner and I enjoy dressing up)

Have fun; I love Broadway shows.

The seats are very close together and you either have to hold or sit on your coat so if you wear a coat, don't wear a bulky one.

Esteemed Contributor

Day or night? What time of year?

As with everything else, Broadway theater attendance has gone very casual.

I would not suggest very dressy. Daytime will be more casual than evening- but not by much. Wear what you feel good in. Some of the older theaters have seats that leave you with less room than on an airplane.

Contributor

Just saw two Broadway shows within the last few months.  Most people were dressed pretty casual.  Blue jeans on most, however, my friends and I wore black dress pants with a blouse or a sweater.  Think pretty much whatever you are most comforable in, I would wear that.

Trusted Contributor

I usually feel when I do go to a Broadway or even off broadway or touring shows, its a special occasion, at least I make it a special occastion. The last one I went to I wore a long black skirt, boots, and a dressy Linea sweater. 

Its whatever you want it to be.  Have fun .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

few people dress up to see a broadway show.

most want to be comfortable while sitting down.

i generally wear a nice pant, nice top, and flats or boots.

i occasionally wear black leggings with a  nice tunic top.

i see everything from jeans and leggings to dresses and skirts......and everything in between. have even seen sweatshirts/hoodies.

VERY few men are in suits.

we do make a full evening out of it and enjoy going to dinner and cocktails before the show.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I make it a special occasion too. I went to Hamilton last summer and I wore a Calvin Klein dress with sparkles on the sleeves. Carried a sparkly clutch.

I don't have many occasions to get dressed up and I enjoy doing that. For me it made the experience even more special. It was a matinee. Any time I've been to shows I've dressed up.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

I always dress up for theater/concert as it is typically a special outing involving dinner at a nice restaurant. Obviously I would not wear a glittery gown but a nice blouse with slacks or skirt, or pretty dress is very appropriate. If some choose to dress like slobs it’s on them. Wear what makes you feel great and enjoy the show.