Respected Contributor

Re: What would you have worn?

I would have worn something very similar to what you did.  I guess it is a generational thing.  I do like to be comfy at home but when I am out it public I try to make an effort to look like I care and frankly, I do care how I look and the impression I make.  Good for you...not so much for your boss.

Honored Contributor

I think you were right. She kept bringing it up because I'd guess she knew, that that time, it would have been better to be more dressed than she was. You were right. To pass it off, just say it was YOUR CASUAL.  That should end it for now. In the future, she should say, just come casual.  There again, you never know what one person's casual is vs. another person's casual.  It could be hit or miss. No one was hurt, let  it go. Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I think what you wore was fine.

I would have worn a skirt and tee or even capris and a nice top. 

I definitely wouldn't have worn sweatpants to lunch. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you were dressed perfectly fine. Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Honored Contributor

@sligo

"There is a place for sweatpants and flip flops."

Yea, the White House for instance.....

Members of the Northwestern University championship women’s lacrosse team caused a stir by wearing flip-flops duringaWhite House visit in 2005.

whistling.gif

===========

@Perkup

Hair curlers???

shocked-smiley-emoticon.giffaint.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

she shouldn't even have mentioned how you were dressed, just let it go.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I think that because she DID mention how you were dressed so often she was a bit uneasy that she showed up looking like she was ready to clean the garage.....

What you wore was appropriate and understated, just right.  I would have smiled and said "I always dress this way!"  As long as you didn't come across as judgmental or superior, you were fine.

Contributor

NO! I would have dressed just as you described. I think she mentioned it because SHE felt under-dressed (i.e., sloppy) and realized she made a faux pas. 

I may be old school, but I believe one should dress for the occasion. Not always like you're sitting alone in front of your TV at home. But most nowadays seem to think clothes don't matter and we can wear anything and it doesn't matter. I cannot fathom what goes through people's heads when they leave their home in clothes that resemble PJs with bedhead!

Besides, I love clothes (which is one reason I'm a QVCaholic) and feel better about myself when I'm wearing something nice, even if it is casual.

If the situation were reversed, she dressed nicely and you wore sweats, would she have repeatedly exclaimed, "I can't believe you didn't dress up." Um, no. I think you wore the right thing and inadvertently embarrassed her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan sounds to me your new Dept.head is rude. Continually mentioning she couldn't believe how you were dressed is rude and shows she was uncomfortable in her sloppy clothes. Maybe she should have apologized to you for her appearance. Your outfit sounds perfect for that type of lunch-meeting...professional but not stuffy.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate all your comments!  Actually, I wear dresses/skirts quite a bit in the summer even on days when I don't leave the yard because it's more comfortable to me in this hot and humid weather.  It's been over 90 degrees here this week!  

I'm looking forward to my new job and hope that my department head's apparent laid back style means she'll be easy to approach.  I've never been asked for a "get to know each other luncheon" right before starting a new job.  I think it's nice she made the effort to reach out to me.  In reflection, I was questioning myself because she seemed to make a big deal about my being "dressed up."  After reading your comments I feel much better.  😊