Respected Contributor

Re: What would you have worn?

@wildcat fan wrote:

I appreciate all your comments!  Actually, I wear dresses/skirts quite a bit in the summer even on days when I don't leave the yard because it's more comfortable to me in this hot and humid weather.  It's been over 90 degrees here this week!  

I'm looking forward to my new job and hope that my department head's apparent laid back style means she'll be easy to approach.  I've never been asked for a "get to know each other luncheon" right before starting a new job.  I think it's nice she made the effort to reach out to me.  In reflection, I was questioning myself because she seemed to make a big deal about my being "dressed up."  After reading your comments I feel much better.  😊

Good luck with the new job.   

Esteemed Contributor

You were right,she was wrong.If she wanted the lunch to be jeans casual she should have said so!! When an employer doesn't specify it's best to err on the side of caution.

Good luck !! 🍀👍 

Regular Contributor

Absolutely, don't doubt yourself. As others have said I would have dressed similiarly as you and i do.  I have always received compliments on how I dress and will never compromise my sense of style or decorum for whatever is the lastest trend. I especially don't care for the present trend of what to me is sloppiness. I do like to stay current and embrace new but never be a slave to trendy. You will always stand out when you dress well and care about your appearance. She was very inappropriate to keep mentioning it, maybe jealous? i am a retired teacher and was always aware of how I carriied myself.. I enjoy putting looks together. love colors and it all makes me feel good. Just keep being who you are.

Respected Contributor

When in doubt for a work-related event, I always wear black pants/black light cardigan and a sleevelss button-down blouse or navy pants/navy light cardigan and a sleeveless button-down blouse. It's been 106 to 110+ degrees here, so I wear sandals. I wear little to no jewelry now but when the weather is cooler, I sometimes wear a scarf as an accessory. It's like walking a tight rope between casual and business attire these days, so I try to find the middle.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan  You did exactly the right thing.  She was the one dressed like a slob.  There are many occasions nowadays where people dress entirely too informally.  I would never go out to eat at a nice restaurant dressed the way she was.  Don't give it another thought. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan

What you wore was fine. I'd probably have worn casual slacks, a top, and a cardigan.  

I don't even wear sweatpants at home so I certainly wouldn't wear them in public, not to mention out to lunch. 

Being dressed a little better than she was is better than being too casual. And, just because she dressed like she was about to clean house doesn't mean you have to. You were not overdressed. She either has poor communication skills or she was purposely trying to make you uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

Make no apologies for having the grace to know how to dress appropriately.

I don't even own sweats or flip flops. I always dress up a bit. I just enjoy fashion and I don't consider sweats fashion. Maybe to wash the dog in or do some gardening? But never going out to a restaurant to meet a friend or someone from my job....

Valued Contributor

Not sure why she was harping so much on your attire...its not like you were wearing a ball gown. LOL! Always dress to impress and that's what you did. Nothing wrong with that. And, most importantly, if it made you feel happy and put together that's all that matters. I work in an office so I know how some women can be. I have had two comments made directly to me from fellow coworkers. I ignore and dress even nicer the next day. LOL! Being a Leo, it's in my DNA. Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

You could have worn most anything, capris with cute flats, even a nice pair of denims with a nice light weight linen blazer...just about anything BUT sweat pants and flip flops.  It sounds like you were classy, appropriate and professional. Your DH was not.  I hope she benefits from your life experience.  Good job!

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I almost asked you what I should wear a few days ago, but now it's too late!  (I should've asked!)

Last February I accepted a new teaching position at a different school and I officially start July 1.  Last week I received a text from one of the ladies who asked me questions during the job interview.  (She will be my department head.)  She asked if I'd like to have lunch this week to chat, get to know each other a little before the rush hits in August.  I selected a day from the ones she provided, and she selected the time (11:00 a.m.) and the restaurant.  It's a nice place, not the most expensive in town, but certainly not "fast food."  (My salad and tea cost about $15.)

I wore a green sleeveless shirtdress (just above the knee) that I bought a few years ago.  I wore a black 3/4 sleeve cardigan over it with black sandals (about 1 1/2" heels).  Kept the jewelry simple with a thin gold bangle bracelet, simple gold chain necklace with a little heart pendant, and gold love knot earrings.

Her first words were, "I can't believe you got all dressed up!" and she repeated that about 15-20 times throughout lunch.  At one point she mentioned she had lunch with another new hire last week, and that new hire didn't get dressed up.  My new department head was wearing a t-shirt, sweatpants, and flip flops.  Her hair was in a bun and she wasn't wearing any makeup. (She casually mentioned that she's almost 40.)

Each time she said she couldn't believe I got dressed up, I just smiled.  I couldn't think of anything to say!  This was my second time meeting her.  I tried to keep smiling and stay positive but it was kind of awkward the way she kept going on about my clothes.  

So back to my question...in this situation would you have gone casual like sweatpants and flip flops or opted for something like you might wear to work?

Sounds appropriate to me.

*Call Tyrone*