Esteemed Contributor

I almost asked you what I should wear a few days ago, but now it's too late!  (I should've asked!)

Last February I accepted a new teaching position at a different school and I officially start July 1.  Last week I received a text from one of the ladies who asked me questions during the job interview.  (She will be my department head.)  She asked if I'd like to have lunch this week to chat, get to know each other a little before the rush hits in August.  I selected a day from the ones she provided, and she selected the time (11:00 a.m.) and the restaurant.  It's a nice place, not the most expensive in town, but certainly not "fast food."  (My salad and tea cost about $15.)

I wore a green sleeveless shirtdress (just above the knee) that I bought a few years ago.  I wore a black 3/4 sleeve cardigan over it with black sandals (about 1 1/2" heels).  Kept the jewelry simple with a thin gold bangle bracelet, simple gold chain necklace with a little heart pendant, and gold love knot earrings.

Her first words were, "I can't believe you got all dressed up!" and she repeated that about 15-20 times throughout lunch.  At one point she mentioned she had lunch with another new hire last week, and that new hire didn't get dressed up.  My new department head was wearing a t-shirt, sweatpants, and flip flops.  Her hair was in a bun and she wasn't wearing any makeup. (She casually mentioned that she's almost 40.)

Each time she said she couldn't believe I got dressed up, I just smiled.  I couldn't think of anything to say!  This was my second time meeting her.  I tried to keep smiling and stay positive but it was kind of awkward the way she kept going on about my clothes.  

So back to my question...in this situation would you have gone casual like sweatpants and flip flops or opted for something like you might wear to work?

Honored Contributor

Re: What would you have worn?

@wildcat fan

I would have dressed like you, but I "get" that there are teachers in the summer who spend the year obsessing about their wardrobe, so in the summer they want to wear the things they "can't" wear to school.  I might have worn a sleeveless blouse and capris, or skirt too.

I am wearing a Talbots tank and shorts today, with Birkenstocks, but I wouldn't wear that to meet my future DC, unless I already knew her.  I would go to my school today (dressed like this) if I needed to drop something off, without any concerns about how I am dressed.  

Respected Contributor

I'm with you. I guess it's my generation, but I would never wear sweatpants to a lunch with my new boss. What you wore sounded fine...or dressy casual would have been appropriate. What today's generation considers "dressed up" was just regular office clothing when I first started working.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I almost asked you what I should wear a few days ago, but now it's too late!  (I should've asked!)

Last February I accepted a new teaching position at a different school and I officially start July 1.  Last week I received a text from one of the ladies who asked me questions during the job interview.  (She will be my department head.)  She asked if I'd like to have lunch this week to chat, get to know each other a little before the rush hits in August.  I selected a day from the ones she provided, and she selected the time (11:00 a.m.) and the restaurant.  It's a nice place, not the most expensive in town, but certainly not "fast food."  (My salad and tea cost about $15.)

I wore a green sleeveless shirtdress (just above the knee) that I bought a few years ago.  I wore a black 3/4 sleeve cardigan over it with black sandals (about 1 1/2" heels).  Kept the jewelry simple with a thin gold bangle bracelet, simple gold chain necklace with a little heart pendant, and gold love knot earrings.

Her first words were, "I can't believe you got all dressed up!" and she repeated that about 15-20 times throughout lunch.  At one point she mentioned she had lunch with another new hire last week, and that new hire didn't get dressed up.  My new department head was wearing a t-shirt, sweatpants, and flip flops.  Her hair was in a bun and she wasn't wearing any makeup. (She casually mentioned that she's almost 40.)

Each time she said she couldn't believe I got dressed up, I just smiled.  I couldn't think of anything to say!  This was my second time meeting her.  I tried to keep smiling and stay positive but it was kind of awkward the way she kept going on about my clothes.  

So back to my question...in this situation would you have gone casual like sweatpants and flip flops or opted for something like you might wear to work?

A dept head wearing flip flops and sweatpants nor very professional 

you were fine, why look like a slob 

and students see how you look 

Honored Contributor

When I started my last job and worked in the office, I wore a long black skirt, white top, red jacket and boots it was Feb I soon learned that I was way over dressed, after that it was jeans with cute tops

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I never dress casual in public.  It's just too easy to throw on a simple dress, or a blouse and trousers.    Even crops.

No matter what I'm doing, where I'm going or who I'm with.

I would NEVER go to lunch in even a tee shirt and jeans!

I have 1 pair of jeans and I wear them to work in the yard - thrift store find.

But that's me.

Maybe you will be a good influence on her in the future.

You were appropriate, she wasn't.

I have more respect for myself and those around me to dress so casually in public.

Respected Contributor

You were appropriate and did the right thing. She is your new boss. It never hurts to be professional.  You left a positive impression.  You also left no doubt as to your professionalism going forward.

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan I would have dressed similarly for a lunch with a new boss. Would've gone a bit more casual for lunch with friends. Never would I go to the type of restaurant you described (or much of anywhere really!) in sweatpants!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think what you wore was fine and not over dressed. If it was me, I'd have told her I usually dress like this. Because it's the truth, in my case. I don't even wear sweats to the hardware store. Sweats are something I wear in winter around the house to keep warm or if I'm working out but that's it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Hooray for YOU!!! You definately were more appropiately dressed. Good luck in your new position Ans. to your question I would have tried to look as smashing as you. There is a place for sweatpants and flip flops.She could have dressed more casually at a fast food rest. LOL