Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do: rude comment on my clothing

Confront her. Tell her how you feel.

Honored Contributor

You might add a scarf, or a pin ,to your ensemble ,and really get her goat

Respected Contributor

It's not worth causing a scene over.  I would just ignore the comment and continue to wear what you find comfortable.  My last job had a super relaxed dress code.  I didn't have too many casual clothes in my wardrobe.  I had come from a professional dress environment.  I continued to wear skirts probably 4 days a week.  After awhile everyone was just used to it.  I would rather be over dressed than under dressed any day.  Continue looking good.

Honored Contributor

@carlycat   Holy cow - what school system allows their 'professional teachers' dress in shorts and tee shirts????  The thought of this is disgusting. It's no wonder the school kids dress like this with parents who also think this is okay. No wonder school kids of every age have zero respect for their teachers.

Beyond this, just shrug off the catty disrespectful comments. You know as we do, these are uncalled for. You are the bigger person here. Yes we know this is hurtful but there will come a time when this chatty catty gets her upcomings when she least expects it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@carlycat : if this woman was a true Friend, she would discuss any perceived wardrobe shortcomings WITH you, not ABOUT you. 

You learned all you need to know about her today. No need to speak with her.

It was a backhanded compliment. Her actions would certainly cool any "friendship" I may have had with her.

I am your age and I, too refuse to dumb down my appearance, anywhere but in my home alone and at the gym and pool.

You go, girl! Do not let this woman rent any more space in your head. Have a blessed day, adjust your crown and carry on!

Honored Contributor

I read/heard something not too long ago about the trend of teachers dressing like students.  It blurs the lines of authority because now teachers are your friends and so students don't respect them because teachers are one of them.

Same dynamic with principals and teachers.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@carlycat 

Take it as a compliment.

I had similar things said to my face - they were not overheard accidentally. It became a bit of a joke or tease among some teachers.

When I began teaching we all wore dresses, skirt suits, pantsuits - really nice clothes. As years passed and dress codes relaxed I gave up my matched suits, but I continued to dress up more than most teachers. Most of my colleagues wore khaki type pants with tees. I wore dresses, skirts, tailored trousers with nice tops, cardigans, or blazers. 

Every time they said, “Wow! You’re really dressed up today!” I would respond, “Thank you.” When they asked, “Why are you so dressed up?” I would respond, “These are my work clothes”, or “I like dressing up.” Eventually, the comments stopped for the most part. 

And guess what? The students voted me “best dressed teacher” in the yearbook. 👍😁

Contributor

@Carlycat 

Simple ... it's a case of pure jealousy.   I worked with two women who claimed to be my "friends"... and when I would show up with a new outfit on, I heard unfavorable remarks from them, plus a few times, they would just walk by me.   I knew what was going on in their feeble minds.  

For me, dressing professional made me perform better ...green with envy is not very becoming on them.

New Contributor

You keep doing you.  It appears that this woman does not have enough work to do if she has the time to be paying attention to what you are wearing and making inappropriate comments about a co-worker.  You continue to look and behave as the professional that you are.  I would never send a child to a school where professionals are no dressing and behaving as such.

Esteemed Contributor

@carlycat  After working in industry, I started teaching in public high school, and I found that sometimes it was difficult to tell the teachers from the students.  I always dressed up, and I always had compliments, not only from the staff, but from the students.  Like you, I felt that I had a responsibility.  It is important to let students know that there is appropriate attire in the working world.  Of course, I also have always liked to dress up.

I would ignore the receptionist and realize that either she is jealous (maybe that you have or had the money to purchase nice clothing) or maybe she is just a catty person.  If she asks why you are not being as friendly, I would tell her.  As a receptionist, she should know what is appropriate when talking in the office.  I do believe that it is a good thing that you have learned that little tidbit about her.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!