Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do: rude comment on my clothing

I think it was unkind what she said and that they were talking about you.  However, I would take the high road and just let it go.  You choose to present a professional appearance and there is never any need to feel bad about this!  If they want to look sloppy and messy, then that's their choice.  

As for friends, I might not go that far - perhaps a better description would be - working associates, acquaintances, but not really friends. Just continue to be you, but I would watch what I said and did around this person and the others who are in this group.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@carlycat sometimes when you overhear something it's not interpreted as it's intended. 

I'd ignore the comment and I would never let somebody tell me how to dress. 

Sounds like somebody is a bit insecure and jealous.  You do what's comfortable for you, not somebody else. 

I feel sorry for people who seemingly act that way.  I figure I can afford to dress better and maybe they can't. Furthermore, I choose to look better because I have pride in how I look and that's what I was taught to do.  I try very hard not to judge others based on what they wear, whether "better" or "worse" than what I'm wearing. 

Take the high road and walk away with a smile.  

Trusted Contributor

stay classy and leave catty to her. 

Honored Contributor

Do nothing, just be aware that she is not your friend.  I know how you feel as I have been back stabbed by people I thought were friends.  It will take awhile to get over the hurt, but you will.  I would be polite to her but not strike up conversations or be on the friendly basis you thought you had.

Continue to dress how you want and please yourself.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@carlycat wrote:

I am 62 and retired from 1) teaching and 2) HR in a public utility. I work as a paraprofessional in a high school in order to get health insurance, frankly, as my retirement did not include it. I have worked in this school for 4 years . It’s an easy job and I enjoy working with the kids without the stress of teaching. 

Today when  I came in I overheard the receptionist saying “oh, she’s always so dressed up,” and then she flipped her hair, like “snotty.” Yes, she was talking about me. There is no dress code at this large school, and many of the teachers wear shorts and school T-shirts every day, men and women alike. I continue to dress professionally, not like I did in HR, but I wear a nice top and pants and often a cardigan every day. 

I’m hurt, because I thought we were friends. Secondly, I really don’t want to wear shorts and T-shirts to school no matter what my job is. I wanted to say something to her but haven’t yet. 

What do do you think?

Consider the source...I think its great you dress up...I would too! Jealous maybe?? Women can be so catty! Woman Wink

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Inspired by this topic I've decided to wear a blazer to work with my jeans today.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Contributor

Sorry you had to hear the rude comment.  If it were me , my first reaction would be to think that if she considers neat and professional looking to be "dressed up" than my Sunday best is probably formal attire.  Seriously, pay her no mind and continue to dress in the style and clothing you feel comfortable in.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is much you can do ,unless you want it to escalate. I would just avoid her as much as possible ,and never confide anything to her at all

Esteemed Contributor

I’m sorry this person felt she had to belittle you.  Because you have pride in your appearance.

I have learned the trick for dealing with inappropriate comments.  Just turn the tables and ask them a question.  Put them on the spot.  “Why on earth would you say something like that to me?” Is universal.  Bullies are cowards and confronting their behavior jolts some of them.  If the bully answers, you say “What you said hurts my feelings.”  Then wait.  If you don’t get an apology, simply walk away.

It took me years, and hurts, to figure this out.