Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do: rude comment on my clothing

I'm "old school".  I think you should be able to tell the teachers from the kids.  Keep doing what you're doing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The way the receptionist stated her petty comment was rude.   

Your attire sounds most appropriate for the school.   Teachers in my area are not allowed to be T-shirt and jeans casual except on special days approved by the principal.   

I would continue dressing as usual and never say a word to her.   You set the bar and let others rise to your level; never stoop to theirs!   

Trusted Contributor

Just keep being you. Some things require a confrontation in order to clear the air for a better working relationship.

However, I think she, nor her comment is worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@carlycat wrote:

I am 62 and retired from 1) teaching and 2) HR in a public utility. I work as a paraprofessional in a high school in order to get health insurance, frankly, as my retirement did not include it. I have worked in this school for 4 years . It’s an easy job and I enjoy working with the kids without the stress of teaching. 

Today when  I came in I overheard the receptionist saying “oh, she’s always so dressed up,” and then she flipped her hair, like “snotty.” Yes, she was talking about me. There is no dress code at this large school, and many of the teachers wear shorts and school T-shirts every day, men and women alike. I continue to dress professionally, not like I did in HR, but I wear a nice top and pants and often a cardigan every day. 

I’m hurt, because I thought we were friends. Secondly, I really don’t want to wear shorts and T-shirts to school no matter what my job is. I wanted to say something to her but haven’t yet. 

What do do you think?

Don't say anything to her.  It's a work situation, so you need to remain professional and not get into a back and forth with her.  

You also may be misinterpreting what you heard and saw.  She might not have meant anything derogatory.  And she might not even have been talking about you.

But even if she was, that's just her opinion.  It's too petty of an issue to turn into a big deal.  Especially in a high school where staff should be setting an example.

(There's nothing wrong with what you're choosing to wear.  It's what I would wear too, and I can't imagine any clear-thinking person having a problem with it.)

Honored Contributor

Continue to set a good example!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I would take it as a compliment and continue being nicely dressed for work.

Me too!Smiley Happy . I see it as a compliment as well.....it's certainly much better than her saying "she always looks like such a slob!"

Personally I would never wear shorts & a tee shirt to work (unless I was doing manual labor like cleaning).  I don't even wear shorts & a tee to go to the supermarket!  

Honored Contributor

@carlycat I actually just started working in a school, it's almost entirely women so unfortunately situations like that will happen. Not welcoming to new people, competitive, gossipy, less mature than the kids.The teachers dress nicely, most wear dresses every day. No jeans or shorts or tshirts. The school has no A.C. and it has been very hot. My job is casual comfortable dress, we can wear nice jeans and sneakers. I never look sloppy and I wear some nice jewelry because the kids comment on it and it's a way to develop dialogue with them.

One thing I would NEVER do is compromise and alter the way you dress because of people like her.No way. She's making comments like that because of her own insecurities. Why should that have any power over you? I'm me and through lots of continuing hard work every day I'm not going to do that, it's a very slippery slope.

Just keep being you and don't engage with her. It's sad behavior for a grown woman.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

The worse part is you thought she was your friend. Her behaviour proved otherwise. I know it hurts, I've had similar experience. Accept that she's not really a friend and try to move past it.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

@carlycat 

Wow, can’t believe someone would negatively comment on another person’s professional clothes.  Keep doing what you’re doing because you are setting the example of how to dress in the workplace. You never know who’s looking up to you. As for your coworker, just smile and say have a nice day.

Trusted Contributor

I was always one to ‘over dress’....even casual Friday’s at work years ago I just didn’t feel professional and as weird as it sounds, I didn’t do as well a job when I dressed way down.  You do you....that’s what’s nice about getting older, be comfortable in your own skin😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it