Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do: rude comment on my clothing

If you are fine with what you wear, keep wearing it.  I would continue being nice with the lady, but at least you know what goes on behind your back.  She is not your friend, she is a coworker.  That may sting a little, but now you know.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Confront her. Tell her how you feel.

I disagree.  Confront her, and say what?  Nothing was said directly to the OP.  She overheard a comment, assumed it was meant in a negative way, and assumed it was about her.  Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

These people work together in a high school.  Making a big deal about something like this would be behavior I'd expect from students in a high school, not the adults who work there.

Respected Contributor

I'd laugh & forget about it.

Valued Contributor

Ahhhh, the joys of working wth some women.   I could write a book on this subject on my own personal experience as well as situations I've witnessed happen to other women.  I would give you the advice my mom gave me many times, "hold your head up high kid."  

Valued Contributor

I would not be friends with someone like that, and by the same token, I would not respond to her snotty comment. Why bother? Not worth renting her a room in your head. And continue to dress professionally. I do the same at church. I am a professional music director at my job. The organist, the pastor and I all dress nicely for Sunday services, and I usually dress professionally for choir rehearsals on Wednesdays. I don't expect others to -- but I just feel better when I'm dressed as a professional. On Sundays -- even during the summer when I am technically not employed -- I usually wear a dress (with hose) or nice slacks and a nice top or a suit when I go to church. I was raised that way, and I feel most comfortable that way. I would feel awful going to church in jeans or shorts. It just would feel weird to me. I did the same when I taught music in school. I was always dressed as a professional. I don't care what others wear, but I wear that for ME. I think you are presenting your school in the best light when you dress professionally.

Frequent Contributor

People in the workplace can be very rude.  I find it amazing how adults bully each other.  I've found that many times they are just jealous and don't have a life.  I've had my feelings hurt at work more times than I can count.  It's difficult to shake but you just keep being YOU.   I mostly keep to myself and do my job.  I have maybe one or two co-workers that I talk to only because they have been treated so badly by co-workers.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. 

Valued Contributor

The comment was unfortunate.  I was at the grocery store and saw a classy lady that was dressed up.  I made a point of telling her how nice she looked.  We chatted for awhile about how people don't always bother to look nice.  Really, I just think it is the world we live in today.   Some people wear shorts to church which is something I would have never envisioned when I was a young girl.  Things are just different.  be proud you are different, I dont see it as a put down.  I probably would have said, thanks for noticing.  Smiley Happy

Contributor

Ignore the comment - it reflects on her "smallness" ... not on your good sense of dress.  Continue to do what makes you happy.  I tell my husband, whenever I go shopping or wherever I may wander, the greatest joy I get is giving someone a complement, helping someone, etc.  Even if it is a "hello, have a nice day."  You may be the only person they speak with that day.  Now take that small paring knife out of your back and move on.  You look lovely!