Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do: rude comment on my clothing

I'd ignore her comment and especially her....and if she wants to know what's wrong, I'd nicely tell her that you're quite aware of the comment she made about you. She'll know exactly what she said, but will most likely try to make light of it. Just ignore her - unless she apologizes.

Honored Contributor

More people should dress like you do!  Terrible how some people are out and about with clothing that looks like they pulled it out of a stack of clothes that was 10 feet high; no matching of items, not appropriate for the place they are, etc.  Good for you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN  I'm in the same situation.  I'm in my 70's, retired.  Wherever  I go, I try to look my best, wear matching items, etc.  Many times I feel I'm "overdressed" as others in the restaurant, store, etc. are dressed so casual and like they didn't care what they put on.   I too have a lot of nicer clothing (like Linea) that I just don't have places to wear any more as I don't go out much and don't go to fancier places like I did years ago.   Some days it's a problem rather than an enjoyment of my wardrobe.  

Honored Contributor

Ignore it and not allow yourself to be petty by discussing it with others.

Honored Contributor

Ignore it and think no more of it because the more you discuss it, the more worked up you get.  Why do you let these people bother you after all these years of professionalism is concerning to me.

Honored Contributor

I'm in the dark because OP dresses up and knows she does it, someone comments about it, but all know she does it, so is the "hair flip" what makes the difference? 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't confront her.  Continue to dress nicely and how you are comfortable with your appearance and enjoy your day knowing you look good.

Contributor

Carlycat, ignore the snide comment, dress how you want to dress, and hold your head up high. You should not be made to feel you are overdressed because others choose to underdress! 

Valued Contributor

Good for you for keeping your standards professional.  I can’t imagine teachers wear shorts and jeans to teach, it’s a job, not the beach.  You are not a student and shouldn’t dress like one.  

Honored Contributor

Personally, I would just ignore it. You are a mature woman who knows that being a professional also entails being a good role model in how you present yourself. Just continue being you......