Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do: rude comment on my clothing

[ Edited ]

@carlycat wrote:

Today when  I came in I overheard the receptionist saying “oh, she’s always so dressed up,” and then she flipped her hair, like “snotty.” Yes, she was talking about me.

What do do you think?

You placed your emotion onto her.

’...oh, she’s always so dressed up’

That is a correct remark.

Making peer comparisons, that would be correct.

Using descriptive words like ‘flipped’ & ‘snotty’ tells me,

no...really screams at me....you are not comfortable with your

dress even before anyone just hints of making a comment.

I have found in these situations, it’s not about you.

The associate meant it as a compliment & insecurity on your part

turned it into a negative. Sometimes we ‘see/hear’ things which 

really aren’t there. If it continues to bother, talk to her. 

Honored Contributor

My all time favorite response to snarky, rude people---BITE ME  !!!!

Trusted Contributor

I went from corporate, Legal of all things, to a school district.  My SVP attorney boss came in suits, long sleeve white shirt shirt, the whole thing every single day.  On "casual" Fridays, he wore a short sleeve shirt and bowtie.  I remember when we went "business casual", I started shopping in Chico's.  He told me I looked like I was wearing pajamas to work.  I let it fly.  I still dressed professionally everyday, but the days of the suits for me were gone.

After that job ended, I began working in a school district.  Talk about a different perspective!  I continued to dress "business casual" from Chico's or J.Jill.  I was secretary to the Principal and as I was the first person people see, I represented the my boss, the main office, the school.  Teachers and a few other secretaries dressed like they were going to work out right from work.  Until the day I retired, I always dressed professionally.  I did start to dress down on 1/2 days, wearing jeans and always a tshirt or sweatshirt with the school logo.

Summers were different and those of us who worked dressed very casually.  I still dressed neatly, wearing clothing from Fresh Produce or JJill.  

Even when I subbed in different school districts last year, I still dressed professionally.  

I would ignore this woman's comment and continue dressing the way you feel the most comfortable.

Image result for dress like the job you want meme

Respected Contributor

Like another posters commented what kind of a school allows teachers to wear shorts and tee shirts? I have never ever seen this in any of the schools that my children attended. When my youngest child was in high school the male teachers wore shirts and ties but not jackets. The female teachers were always dressed appropriately.  The students had a dress code also. And yes this was a public school. It sounds like you dress appropriately with slacks, nice blouse and a cardigan. I would not give one thought to what was said. Unless she said it to your face and then said yes I am talking about you how do you know for certain that she meant you? If she did I would have smiled and said thanks I do my best to look nice. I certainly wouldn't confront her and escalate the situation. 

Frequent Contributor

Hi CarlyCat, something very similiar happened to me, I walked right into a co-worker talking about me, her back was towards me, the other co-worker she was talking to face was towards me and saw me walk in the room and said "shhhh" to the one talking about me. I walked right up to her and said if you are going to talk about

me, say it to my face. Awkard silence from both of them.

Honored Contributor

@carlycat   I would put it back in her court and say to her, you are always dressed up and then wait for her answer.  You can tell her she needs to talk a little softer as to not hurt other people's feelings with her comments.  I believe people that are always talking about others are insecure and need to build themselves up to feel better.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

i would just let it go. and do not confront her and mention she hurt your feelings!    own your power, don't fret over it, above all don't show any sensitivity even if this ruined your day.  there's always tomorrow.

i have had so many comments over the years about my outfits, when in reality  just coordinated my clothes and accessories and colors  some said you dress beautifully, others wondered why i was so "dessed up".  many would give the side eye...you cannot please everyone... so please yourself.

Honored Contributor

I guess I am really out of touch but I find it hard to believe that so many people would react so strongly to something that, to me, is not the best thing that someone could say, but certainly not something that would really upset me.

To me, that's not a big deal or something to get all in a flap about.  She made a comment about you dressing better, and apparently you know that you do and enjoy that you do, so where's the foul here?  You do dress better and it makes you feel better and people pick up on that.  

So do. you expect them to compliment you on it?  I don't think so. . . They are getting the message. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ignore her.............dress the way you feel comfortable......and maybe think twice about  her friendship

Respected Contributor

OP,  Don't worry about what small minded people think or say.  She's one person with an opinion and your opinion on what you  wear is the only one that matters.