Esteemed Contributor

Re: What will be the next apparel trend?

@151949, I respect your opinion and your fashion style, but please - there are some of us who have very thin legs and love the "skinny" pants style. We don't look like we're wearing slacks/jeans that look like riding pants! Skinny pants aren't just a trend for me - they fit my skinny legs! Do I wear them skin tight? Nope - the right size fits me like "normal" pants!

Esteemed Contributor

I kind of settled on a style that works for me decades ago and have stuck with it.  I like what I like.   Though many here think Brooke Shields' designs are boring, they are right up my alley.  Especially that red blazer shown the other night.  Don't like the ankle pants look, but could sure see that red blazer with my skinny jeans and white button-up blouse.

I'm afraid styles are getting waaay too casual -- ya know, the ripped jeans and pajama bottoms, etc.  I'm afraid the next apparel trend will be more and more baggy, sloppy clothes.  Piles of un-matching layers?  Tunics down to knees with frayed elastic-waist ankle pants?  Will people look like they just rolled out of bed and went to work?   

Well, I won't.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

It seems every designer is doing some form of the long open front cardigan. I must admit, in the south, doesn’t get ski jacket or wool coat cold that many days. I have purchased (Nordstrom sale last year) two of them in a lightweight cashmere blend. They were perfect and the warmest layer I needed.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm seeing the return of the blazer...a look from the '80s seems to be making a comeback. Of course the details will be different, like the lapel design, button placement and shoulder silhouette won't be the same but the concept of the suited-look is there once again.

@SilleeMee  I love jacket/blazers. J Crew has one with contrasting lining under the collar. Different yet classic.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I kind of settled on a style that works for me decades ago and have stuck with it.  I like what I like.   Though many here think Brooke Shields' designs are boring, they are right up my alley.  Especially that red blazer shown the other night.  Don't like the ankle pants look, but could sure see that red blazer with my skinny jeans and white button-up blouse.

I'm afraid styles are getting waaay too casual -- ya know, the ripped jeans and pajama bottoms, etc.  I'm afraid the next apparel trend will be more and more baggy, sloppy clothes.  Piles of un-matching layers?  Tunics down to knees with frayed elastic-waist ankle pants?  Will people look like they just rolled out of bed and went to work?   

Well, I won't.

@tototwo  I agree on deciding on your style and staying true to it...saves lots of money and mistakes in purchasing. I work from home, so do enjoy my casual clothes, but to me that’s jeans/tees/sweaters. I’ll never understand the pj look or sloppy, oversized clothing. I have nothing to cover or hide under. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know if it's the "next" trend or just a current one, but the suit is big, am seeing it all over.  I am loving the suit in plaid, the pant suit, the skirt suit.  I don't have a lot of places to wear this look, as I don't work in an office any longer, but I still love the look.

I also like the Brooke Shields look of the longer suit jacket with the shorter, slightly flared pants, with a heel!  It looks very classic but modern to me.  I do think you have to have the right body proportions to wear it, though.  If you've got short legs I don't think it works.

I am looking at the Diane Gilman jacket in plaid that's being shown today.  I would love to wear that with some skinny jeans.  The TS jegging looks good, but I am not sure I want that high waist shaping feature.  

And I don't think skinny jeans are going away.  They are becoming a classic (or already have), IMO.   They are a staple in my wardrobe!

Honored Contributor

@luvdoodles wrote:

@SeaMaiden I think we are seeing more of those brands now because the cooler and colder weather is coming. They are soft cozy and warm. That's how they are promoting them. I actually like both brands. 

I think that some of those Barefoot Dreams tops look terrific with skinny jeans or leggings.  With a pair of tall boots, fabu!  I don't think that looks sloppy at all.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've been seeing trends of animal prints and more ruched details. Animal prints never really go away but I think this fall/winter they will be on the hit lists.

Western wear will also be trending...like bold-printed prairie-type dresses and tops, not so much the cowboy-look.

You'll never see me in a prairie dress or top, but I love my cowboy boots with jeans.

And animal print shoes will never be out of style as far as I'm concerned!  My leopard print stilettos go with everything! (almost, hahahaha)

Honored Contributor

Look at jeans, less of the distressing.  More of the "clean" look.  Shredding, etc at the hem will still be there. But the trend will be for clean jeans nevertheless.  Button style  getting bigger along with the traditional zipper.  The skinny will be be around more.  But it always comes back in the winter because of boots. Slim style, a looser skinny with high rise. Some rises up to 11".  Less of the traditional boot style coming back, though you might see some.  More of the cropped Kick jeans will  be around instead. Vintage style.  Combat style boots (like Dr. Martins) to wear with cropped kick jeans in winter. Overall Jean cut will be straight and the big flares going away, being replaced by wide jeans.

Honored Contributor

I am old enough to have seen many trends come & go & come back again. I have worn plenty of them in the past 50 years. I prefer classic clothes, but I am not opposed to wearing a trend if I like it. As far as the next big trend...the designers decide that when they do their collections for the next season. Hopefully, there will continue to be lots of choices for women who like different kinds of clothes & styles.