Esteemed Contributor

Re: What was I thinking when I bought that?

@Big Joanie wrote:

OMG .. I thougtht the same thing last night ... I got the Linea

riding Jacket when it was announced he was leaving ..

it was on easy pay .... it fit beautifuly ....but it is very heavy ....

I LIVE IN FLORIDA !!!!   WHAT WAS i THINKING ......

I have often wondered if the background music in stores is playing subliminal messages like "buy it, you like it".  LOL

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Last year when we returned from FL mid-March, I switched my closet over to Spring and had opportunity to clear our things that remained after I had already sent items to my niece. ( She gets " packages " of all kinds of things frequently ! )

When I pulled in to the thrift store parking lot, I was car #20 waiting to drop off clothing and decor stuff.  There were two tractor trailers with doors open and I could see levels of stuff tiered inside each.  Lots of folks were purging.

This year during our FL stay, I noticed the thrift stores were different:  Clothing seems to have taken over the majority of the floor space.  Linen and decor space has shrunk.

Clothing-wise,  it seems as though the increase is in the women's wear area:  really long racks multiply overnite it seems.

Perhaps the pandemic showed us we can get along with less and helped us clear out excess inventory in our closets and homes.  

Similar to stores, we could now take inventory by category of clothing ( slacks, vests, skirts, etc) and colors/ sizes if necessary / casual/ dress/ occasion, etc. so we see where we need to add or subtract pieces.

This what I did when the first Chico's opened near me.  Since I was still working, I indulged in their Travelers line...all colors, different pieces.  When I bought an item that I already had in my closet, that is when I made an Excel spread sheet so I knew what I was doing !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

HAHA...really glad to read this because now I know it's not just me. The other thing I do is go to my jammed closet and pull stuff out in surprise....."When did I buy this? I don't remember buying this."  LOL

Briggsie

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Big Joanie wrote:

OMG .. I thougtht the same thing last night ... I got the Linea

riding Jacket when it was announced he was leaving ..

it was on easy pay .... it fit beautifuly ....but it is very heavy ....

I LIVE IN FLORIDA !!!!   WHAT WAS i THINKING ......

I have often wondered if the background music in stores is playing subliminal messages like "buy it, you like it".  LOL

that would make me a " Manchurian Candidate " !!!!

Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Last year when we returned from FL mid-March, I switched my closet over to Spring and had opportunity to clear our things that remained after I had already sent items to my niece. ( She gets " packages " of all kinds of things frequently ! )

When I pulled in to the thrift store parking lot, I was car #20 waiting to drop off clothing and decor stuff.  There were two tractor trailers with doors open and I could see levels of stuff tiered inside each.  Lots of folks were purging.

This year during our FL stay, I noticed the thrift stores were different:  Clothing seems to have taken over the majority of the floor space.  Linen and decor space has shrunk.

Clothing-wise,  it seems as though the increase is in the women's wear area:  really long racks multiply overnite it seems.

Perhaps the pandemic showed us we can get along with less and helped us clear out excess inventory in our closets and homes.  

Similar to stores, we could now take inventory by category of clothing ( slacks, vests, skirts, etc) and colors/ sizes if necessary / casual/ dress/ occasion, etc. so we see where we need to add or subtract pieces.

This what I did when the first Chico's opened near me.  Since I was still working, I indulged in their Travelers line...all colors, different pieces.  When I bought an item that I already had in my closet, that is when I made an Excel spread sheet so I knew what I was doing !

I need to do that spread sheet ... but definetly we have learned we

can get along with less ....except TP .. of course ....Love Chico's

Travelers ....

Contributor

I know what I was thinking...I want something today & I'm buying it even if it ends up sitting in my closet for a while before I wear it.  Sometimes it just feels good to buy something new.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

Many times, that purchase is anticipation of a new season coming or just wanting "something" new as stated before.

You could always start buying diamonds instead of styles you won't like!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@OCG wrote:

I know what I was thinking...I want something today & I'm buying it even if it ends up sitting in my closet for a while before I wear it.  Sometimes it just feels good to buy something new.

Oh yes .. I agree with that too ....

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz Good points, same thing is happening here.  I'm glad I am not the only one who actually bought a piece of clothing I already own........guilty as charged.   That was a wake up call for me too.  I've been so much better with my shopping for "new" as so many have said, I can just shop in my closet!  I couldn't even wear everything I own if I wore something different every single day for the rest of my life!  Pathetic, but I try to look at the positive, I have dressed a lot of other people with my donations over the years. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I bought several, gorgeous, cabin-chic, chunky, luxurious sweaters this fall/winter.

I've been on 100% telework for a year.  Where was I going to wear any of these???  Smiley Frustrated