Respected Contributor

Re: What to wear to hubby's class reunion?

[ Edited ]

My husband is definitely wearing a suit!

We would both rather be over dressed than under.  And we like to dress up.

We don't care what other people wear - we like to be appropriate.  We dress up for the theater and see people in overly casual clothes.  Weddings too.  It's kind of sad.

I'm 65 years old, size 8/10 dress bythe way.  Pants size 6/8.

I really hadn't planned to buy anything as I have plenty to choose from in my closet.

I kind of know what business casual means but the fact that it's being held in an upscale hotel ballroom made it confusing.

Not going to ask any of the women who might be going what they're wearing - I don't even know anyone well enough to ask. I don't know any women who are going period.   That's why I asked here!

Thanks again everyone!  I really appreciate all the responses, suggestions, photos, etc.  You guys are great!

Respected Contributor

Ironic to see this. I will be tagging along with DH to his 55th college reunion in mid-September at the University of Maine. I will be packing some "warm" clothes like leather pants, jacket, maybe boots. There may be a dinner/dance and I'll bring a dress, heels, etc., He is going to pack a suit. This could be interesting.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow - is it that cold in Maine in September?  Hope you have a great time.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Wow - is it that cold in Maine in September?  Hope you have a great time.

@FranandZoe

Maybe in extreme northern aand eastern Maine, in the middle of night, in late September.  Mid September is still summer.

I'd take a light jacket or wrap, but I'd leave the leather and boots for later in the season.

I agree with you about your husband wearing a suit and you dressing up.  I hate to be underdressed.  To me the venue and the time of day screams, cocktail party attire.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe I agree with your philosophy. I love to dress up too, wish I had more occasions to do so. Sometimes I get my version of dressed up just to go to a movie. It's a positive boost.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

This is a Calvin Klein dress I have on my wishlist. It's only 59 dollars somewhere right now..I think BonTon

download.jpg

I think it's cute and appropriate if you're concerned. Although I've never been to a class reunion so take anything I say with a grain of salt. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

My husband is definitely wearing a suit!

We would both rather be over dressed than under.  And we like to dress up.

We don't care what other people wear - we like to be appropriate.  We dress up for the theater and see people in overly casual clothes.  Weddings too.  It's kind of sad.

I'm 65 years old, size 8/10 dress bythe way.  Pants size 6/8.

I really hadn't planned to buy anything as I have plenty to choose from in my closet.

I kind of know what business casual means but the fact that it's being held in an upscale hotel ballroom made it confusing.

Not going to ask any of the women who might be going what they're wearing - I don't even know anyone well enough to ask. I don't know any women who are going period.   That's why I asked here!

Thanks again everyone!  I really appreciate all the responses, suggestions, photos, etc.  You guys are great!

What time of day it is, what is on the menu, etc., would determine what I would wear.  Is it 5 o'clock cocktail, 3 p.m. snacks, 8 p.m. full meal in courses with lobster, etc.  A fancy hotel ballroom is intended for that but can run the gamut depending on the time of day, purpose, etc.  

Respected Contributor

SW Florida resident here. Not sure what kind of weather we will encounter in Maine mid-September. I'll be ready for a range of temperatures. Better to be prepared.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Dress like you're a "trophy wify."

whistling.gif

.....and purchase a large, yummy "eat your heart out, old girlfriends" diamonique ring!!!

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

SW Florida resident here. Not sure what kind of weather we will encounter in Maine mid-September. I'll be ready for a range of temperatures. Better to be prepared.

@StylishLady  if its U Maine Orono - yes there may be a chill in the air in Sept.  Orono is just North of Bangor.  i've stayed Downeast (Ellsworth/Bar Harbor) in mid-August and  the temps get can below 50 ...pack your boots and leather!