Frequent Contributor

What to wear to a college graduation

Hello everyone!!! I was hoping you fashionistas could help me w/a problem I've been having. 

My oldest daughter is graduating from college in May. I have no idea what to wear!!! I'm at a complete lost here, & could really use some help & advice. We live in the South, & I have checked into the weather. (85 degrees) I'm just at a loss for what I wear? A suit? A dress? I even considered a Halston jumpsuit. But is that too casual? I'm clueless!!! Please help!!!!  

Trusted Contributor

Re: What to wear to a college graduation

I will never have that problem, but I would wear a dress. Something light that wouldn't be to hot. Comfortable shoes.  Congratulations! 

Honored Contributor

At my niece's HS graduation last May in Virginia, it was indoors in a stadium.  People were dressed in every conceivable type of dress (cultural, casual, suits and dresses, business casual, etc.)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I would wear a lightweight dress and a lightweight shoulder wrap.  Also, a beautiful large-brimmed hat, unless the ceremony will have overhead covering.  No use sitting there in the hot sun for hours without wearing some sort of hat.  jmo.   .......... Enjoy this wonderful event!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Congratulations to you and your daughter.  I agree light dress, flats (if outside) If you wear the hat, be sure you don't block the view of the guests behind you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I think anything goes, really.  Just be comfortable, as it will be a very long ceremony and hot.

Honored Contributor

Yes, flats or wedge heels. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Congrats!

DS graduated from college last May. Cold and damp the entire weekend! Pictures are not the best.

I wore maxi dresses to both sons' graduations. Both were unseasonably cool, overcast or light rain.

I dress from the shoes up as there is generally quite a bit of walking and standing involved. One graduation was in a football stadium, the other on the front lawn. Be sure to include a jacket or cardigan in your outfit. It may be needed. Some years it's sunny and hot, other years, not so much. 

Almost anything goes at graduation. Usually nice casual. Choose something where you will look good in the pictures!

Regular Contributor

Congratulations!  I've been to quite a few college graduations and it's always been nice or dressy casual.  I have seen a few men in suits but never any women.  I agree with others about the shoes....something that looks nice but comfy because you could be on your feet quite a while plus a lot of walking.  Enjoy this special day!

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations to your daughter AND her family. Very exciting for you all. Be comfortable in your choice for whatever you choose. The past graduations I've attended have been very casual. Hope to hear more as the time gets closer.