Honored Contributor

Re: What to wear for virtual interview?

What would you wear at the most dressed on the job you are applying for?  Wear that!  They need to see you at your best for that job. 

Respected Contributor

@GoodyShoescongratulations! I am wishing you the very best!  Virtual interviews drive me batty! I say wear what makes you the happiest and you look your best. Think about your accessories and makeup also. I'm confident you will make the best choice and the offer letter is on the way! Knock 'em dead!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would make sure what you wear makes you comfortable. You don't want to be fussing with your outfit or look hot and miserable. I've never worn a suit to any interview. When people interview out here in Arizona it's pants and a nice shirt or a lightweight dress and heels if you're  young and flats if older. We simply don't dress up much and even interviews are pretty casual. I guess it depends on the job and part of the country. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone who does Zoom interviews and has a business casual dress code at work, I'd say any blouse that you like would be fine.  Unless you're interviewing for a professional office type of job (lawyer, etc) a jacket is most likely unnecessary.  This is especially true if the company is mostly working remotely. 

Someone above mentioned dressing like the person who did your previous interview, which is a great idea.  Also, as others pointed out, you want to be very comfortable in your choice,which will let you focus on the interview itself and not what you're wearing. 

Whatever you decide--best of luck!  

Respected Contributor

@GoodyShoes  I don't think a suit jacket is neccesary since as you said that that CO. wear business casual. I think the turquoise long sleeve blouse will be just fine. I think some color on zoom meetings works best. White pearl stud earings also would add to the look. Good Luck!

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone. At the previous interview, my interviewer (a man) had worn a button down oxford I had intended to go with the aqua blouse, but then when I tried it on again this morning it really seemed too big. The gray jacket fit, but I was afraid that for the zoom call it would’ve been too harsh/ drab. I ended up with the black jacket and a brightly colored blouse under it. For some reason, it seemed to work better than the gray this morning. I think the gray would be fine in person, though. Thanks again!
Esteemed Contributor

@GoodyShoes wrote:

I have a 2nd interview tomorrow.  The first interview was a zoom meeting with just one person.  For that one, I wore a blue blouse.  Since this is a panel interview, I wasn't sure if I needed to wear a suit jacket.   I am struggling with a suit jacket because I have recently lost weight and don't have many jackets that fit correctly.  I do have a black one, but I feel like black is not my best color, and I don't think it is ideal for zoom.  My options are navy short sleeve blouse, aqua long sleeve blouse, the black jacket, gray jacket (fits, but has wool in it- I think would look ok on Zoom though) or a turquoise jacket that is more of a shirt jacket (kind of boutique-y more than professional).   Any thoughts?   I have been on the other side of the table and I was always surprised by how casually some people dressed for interviews.  I believe they are business casual most days at this particular company.  Everyone is still working remotely at this company.  Thanks

I am of the belief that it is better to be over dressed than under dressed for an interview.  I would wear business-like attire, regardless of the type of job I'm applying to.  The business attire is for the interview and doesn't indicate that it will be what you will be required to wear if you get the job. 

Don't just wear what is "comfortable" for an interview.  How long will the interview take?  Being uncomfortable for a short period of time won't kill you.  If it's a virtual interview, maybe the top half of you will only be visible anyway.

Best wishes to you.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life