Super Contributor

What to wear after a hip replacement

I'm having a hip replaced in August. I have a few pull-on skorts in liquid knit, and a few rip skirts (you wrap them around you and they fasten with velcro at the waist). I want to buy some capris or bermuda shorts but need them to either pull on easily or have a zipper and button. They should be loose and not bind.

Any suggestions for casual pants that go on easily are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to wear after a hip replacement

Wish you well and know you be happy after you are walking all over again.  Friends tell me it is the best thing ever!

One friend also says the best advice she ever got was to wear a loose skirt and go commando for a bit when at home.  

Honored Contributor

If you want Bermuda shorts with pull up waists, I would buy them very quickly since it's after the 4th of July.  Stores are getting ready for fall deliveries.

For capris and similar, you might like the Appleseeds catalog.  They have quite a lot of what you mentioned but have a wide customer base.

Good luck with your procedure.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kinda the same but when I had my knee replaced in October of 2017 I bought knitted mens pull on shorts from Costco. A bit longer and very comfy. I wore them to PT all the way through December and still wear them today and they are great.

Glacier Men’s Performance Short 2-pack

613A6925-2C84-4330-B5F6-F3AC5B19D431.jpeg
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AussieLuvr ............My mom had hip replacement and for several weeks after she got home her bandage  needed replaced.  You might want to rethink wearing pants for a while.  Mom wore her panties and cotton  night growns.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

You may find at least for the first week that a loose fitting dress is more comfortable.  Simple movements may be challenging such a bending/stretching  to pull shorts up and down.  A dress eliminates this.  Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

I had mine done in march.  I wore loose joggers.  I have a few ripskirts too. Those are perfect!  Yes a dress / skirt is easiest. Once stitches or staples are out (2weeks) other clothes are more comfortable.  Good luck to you!!

Respected Contributor

my hip replacement was in Sept 2020.  i did not invest in new clothes except for i got a couple maternity tops from Walmart.  they are longer than regular tops and loose.  i'm 5'3 and wore these along with very very loose old cut-off summer PJ bottoms.

you can't have clothes that are snug with which you have to struggle with on and off!  i had to have help dressing for the first few weeks!   i had to wear compression stockings for 4 weeks. that was bad enough and DH had to put them on for me. (and remove)

just think LOOSE and comfortable clothes!

Super Contributor

ripskirthawaii (dot com) make wrap skirts in a variety of lengths and colors. The closure is Velcro & has a full panel under the wrap so you do t have to worry.

Honored Contributor

moo moo's I wear all the time around the house. LOL

Walmart cool gowns