Esteemed Contributor

What to wear Florida.. and then cruise. Advice

Going to Florida, visiting daughter.  Then hoping on cruise to Carribbean.  

No idea what to pack for me and hubby. If my daughter did not live there I might never go.  I will probably miss some great Fall weather, or not .  LEAVING IN 2 WEEKS.

What to pack and wear.  I don't wear shorts.  

Respected Contributor

Re: What to wear Florida.. and then cruise. Advice

If you are coming to Central Fl., I would bring a sweater for evening.  It has cooled down beautifully here and the evenings can be cool.  Daytime temps low 80's.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you cruised before? Which cruise line /ship are you going on? Will you have formal nights?  I honestly haven't been on many, but know they used to have theme nights - like a white night.

I know people say that people don't dress up anymore, but, IMO, I think many people are a little dressier on a cruise.  People look "nice", even if they aren't all dressed up.  Of course there are people who don't.  But, if you are the type of person who likes to dress up, you will not be out of place.  And, if you want to be more casual, that's okay too.

You say you don't wear shorts - what do you wear?  capris?  long pants (lightweight)?  dresses?  That's all fine!

Honored Contributor

It depends on where in Florida you are going I think. I live in SW Florida along the Gulf coast and today it was 88 and very humid here.Gets down to about 70 and breezy at night.  They are not showing any change from this weather here for the immediate future. Remaining hot and humid, but sunny, no rain.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have cruised before but I get confused and don't remember what the dress was. I don't really watch what people wear, I guess.  I wear long pants, capris, and skirts, all light weight.  Wish I could take my jeans, but probably not.  I love to dress up so my problem is taking too many dressy things.  I want to tone down a bit.  I could formal every night of the week if I could get away with it.  

In any case one week with our daughter in really casual style and one week more dressy.  Taking one garment bag and one 28" suitcase and one duffle like bag.  We don't double up on bags just because SouthWest will let us take more.  Too bulky, heavy an inconvenient.  

Esteemed Contributor

I personally think a lightweight jacket is a must regardless of where one is going.  You never know what a wind shift can do regardless of the advance forecast.  When I go to Florida I usually pack a leather jacket, neutral color cardigan or raincoat.  Because a cruise will be piggybacked on your trip the cardigan probably makes more sense.  I usually find a lightweight sweater comes in handy on the cool ac ship anytime, and on the outdoor decks in the evening. 

Trusted Contributor

I live in South Florida - it is hot and humid.  It should cool down in the next few weeks.  I have taken many cruises and depending on the cruise line, I would say to bring a pair of nice jeans - maybe black - and some semi-dressy tops with a wrap or sweater of some sort for the evening.  Some crop or capri pants, tee shirts, a bathing suit if you plan to swim, a cover up or little dress that you can wear with sandals or flip flops.  Do you have any nice flowy slacks that can be dressed up or down?  I would also bring something like that.  Pack light and stick with neutral colors so you can interchange - you'll be surprised how much you won't use.  Enjoy your trip!

Respected Contributor

I am also going to Florida and then going on a cruise after Thanksgiving.  It's hard leaving cold Alabama and then flying to warm Ft. Lauderdale, hopping a cruise to the islands for 8 days.  I am planning on wearing a short sleeve shirt and wearing a sweater/dressy jeans until I get to Florida.  As far as the cruise goes, we have cruised a lot and have finally parred it down.  For the two formal nights, I plan on taking one dressy outfit (palazzo pants and dressy top).  For our tours, they all require a bathing suit, so 2-3 suits are going in with 3 different cover-ups.  The rest of the time I will take a couple of capri pants/tops.  I am pretty much a black/white/pink kind of girl so I can get away with taking 2 pair of cute shoes and a pair of walking shoes.  That's it for me.  Enjoy!!!!!