Honored Contributor

What to do With Purged Clothing

What to Do With Old Clothes

Honored Contributor

Re: What to do With Purged Clothing

@lolakimonoGreat ideas.  Thanks.

The only other suggestion I have comes from a friend who volunteers at a large, busy shop which sells virtually everything with the funds going to the work of the church.  She's taught me to donate even torn sheets and old towels that are beyond their usual use -  local painters and other workers come in and buy them by the bags full.  Check with your favorite shop -  if they don't already do this, maybe they'd try it if they knew about the demand.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

She's taught me to donate even torn sheets and old towels that are beyond their usual use -  local painters and other workers come in and buy them by the bags full.  

@millieshops

I think many also donate their towels, sheets, quilts, blankets, etc. to animal shelters/hospitals to line the cages.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

The only other suggestion I have comes from a friend who volunteers at a large, busy shop which sells virtually everything with the funds going to the work of the church.  She's taught me to donate even torn sheets and old towels that are beyond their usual use -  local painters and other workers come in and buy them by the bags full.  Check with your favorite shop -  if they don't already do this, maybe they'd try it if they knew about the demand.

Wow, never knew! I've given "rags" that I was going to donate to a local animal shelter (do save older blankets, toys, beds, towels for them) and the plumbers working here had asked if they could have them, so it makes sense! (Just so you don't think I'm bad, I also donate food, laundry supplies, etc., to a local shelter thru my Amazon account also.)

Honored Contributor

I just bag everything up into large black garbage bags and tote them off to goodwill. I take a tax deduction. I am not going to try to sell things or have yard sales.... do not want to deal with that. 

Respected Contributor

I donate almost everything.

I have sold some things with The Real Real.  Very easy to deal with...

Honored Contributor

our small town has a town only swap/sell group on Facebook.

people have all kinds of things on offer,  Might be worth look to see what types of groups there are in your local area, there are many.

it's an easy way to get rid of stuff, 

Honored Contributor

We have a weekend "Green Market" here in my area ... and along with the produce vendors, bakery goods, etc ... there's a charity group that has a booth where they accept clothing and shoe donations.

Really easy ... during the week, I fill up a bag and then drop it off nearby on the weekend.

Respected Contributor

Nursing homes could use clothing. Some residents come in with only the clothes on their back. Check with the social worker first to see if there is a need. They also like to have children's clothing. The dementia residents like to fold clothes because it is an activity they remember doing.

Honored Contributor

My more expensive clothing go to Goodwill for a tax deduction...We also have a "nearly new" donation place that gives receipts.

Clothes in good condition, but not worth taking to Goodwill go to homeless shelters for women.

Blankets, towels and linens also go to shelters or if not in great shape, they get donated to a local ASPCA.