Esteemed Contributor

What style of fur does this faux fur coat A386661 mimic ?

Dennis Basso A386661 Madison Ave Ivory Jacquard Coat with faux fur

it also comes in black

I think it looks like  Persian lambswool  and long haired Tibetan wool . It has a sculptural design . I watched  2 different nights  as I was  interested in  the design  of the faux furs  of this coat .  To me , it  somewhat reminds me of 1970's , however a little more modern.

Respected Contributor

Re: What style of fur does this faux fur coat A386661 mimic ?

I'm not sure, but it is really pretty.  It does have a vintage vibe!

Honored Contributor

On zoom, I don't think it's a good facsimile of anything I recognize except someone's idea of faux fur.  

The closest I can come up with is Mongolian (Tibetan) lamb; which is long and slightly wavy; however, the fur on this coat is very straight, and much shorter, resembling an uneven blunt haircut. Persian lamb is shorter, curly, and/or wavy.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought this Ivory coat  in Ivory, but they only had in size Med no size small . Thought I'd take a chance. The sections between the long straight faux fur is curly  and soft. In the 1970's , I did have a  wool coat  with  real curly Persian lambswool coat on the collar , sleeve cuffs and hem . Guess it was Dr Zhivago style . I also had very curly thick lambswool on a suede jacket in the same 1970's . Both coats were  very nice from a furrier shop in DC. So, that's why this faux fur reminds me of the same. When I look at some reviewers , I think they are expecting the black coat to have  been a faux mink, but I don't think the  faux was ever imagined as a mink . Guess, only Dennis Basso knows. The coat is unique.

Honored Contributor

In the 80's I sold off DH's mother's Persian Lamb coat in my booth at the antique mall.  By her age and date of hospitalization (she had MS) I could tell it was from the 40's. Very short clipped curly "fur."  This Basso coat is fantasy fur.  I like his designs but not this one.