Valued Contributor

What silhouette REALLY fits you best?

I'm not wealthy, I don't have a stylist. I'm a grown woman with curves, I love my curves. But it hit me to ask everyone when I was reading the never ending post on Shawns gladiators (I do like the dress she was wearing and despite asking "customer service" I can't ID it) SO~PLEASE READ AND RESPOND: My daughter is getting married in the fall. So last summer into the early fall we of course, first looked for her dress.and then for mine. She is built like me, only the petite version. I've always looked for a-line, wrap, or some other illusion type dress thinking it would cover and enhance. We went to the bridal shops, she started with a ball gown I had seen and loved. It made her look pregnant, cut her in half. Neither of us like strapless, it's just a personal fashion thing. She tried a couple mermaids (which I loath) so did she. And after several others the assistant brought us...she tried on a sheath style. And OMG, it was as if the skies parted. It flowed down her body showing off her hourglass figure without being tight. And it gently opened to a train. That wasn't THE DRESS but, it was the silhouette! She searched the designers websites & found three gowns she loved. And one of those three was THE ONE! She looks magnificent in it. It was just the right amount of all the elements she liked and not too sexy. When it came to me...I knew I wanted vintage, and after going to look at MOB dresses, which I found much too matronly or costume. I went online, found a very pretty dress with just a bolero in illusion materia to cover my upper armsl. Also a sheath. We would've never thought that style would suit either of us. But it complimented our bodies in a way no other ever had. SO....what do you look for in a dress? Have you ever dried different from what your used to? Have you experimented with styles? C'mon ladies.......
Honored Contributor

Re: What silhouette REALLY fits you best?

In a dress I prefer fitted through the bust and torso with a defined waist. I can do a straight bottom but prefer a narrow ""A"" line. As an hourglass I need to define the waist.

Respected Contributor

I'm really not a dress person. I prefer separates. I have a nicely proportioned hour glass figure (I love my feminine curves) but I have a "booty". I look best in a sheath dress or in an A-line dress that covers my knee. I thought I was going to have a hard time finding a mob dress two years ago but I found my dress at Neiman Marcus and after a few alterations, it fit like a dream. Mob dresses do tend to be "fussy" and matronly, so I purposely did not shop for my dress at a bridal shop. I do "step out of my box" and try different styles, colors and patterns all the time. Emphasis on "try". But at this point in my life; I really do know my body and I really do know what colors and fabrics I like. While I try new things, its rare for me to discover that I do look good in something that I thought would not work for me.

Super Contributor

For dresses - sheath style, straight column dress, or tank dress with slight A-line. I have a closet full of them.

All very plain with different necklines, sleeves and almost all black. Those are the only styles I wear.

I have absolutely no curves ... my focal point isn't my shape ... but other attributes. My thing is accessories.

Honored Contributor

I am a broad-shouldered stick. I prefer a shift, loosely belted just above the hipline. Disguises everything.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

A sheath style is most complimentary for me also. I no longer have a waist, so I look better in dresses that don't draw attention to that area. Like you, I also like to cover my arms.
Valued Contributor

I just got my waist back! I have had my abdomen cut several times. There is nothing left there in terms of muscle tone. I had children by C-Section, and other surgeries that required large incisions. I could lose more weight....I want to! But once the abdominal wall is cut so much; I or, anyone cannot get it flat again! If I went down to 100 lbs., and would still have that skin hanging there! My point was not to make myself sound ignorant to styles....it's just never been something I ever dreamed of looking good on me! I'm sure there are women here that have styles they have avoided. We are actually planning to tuck in my dress a tad at the waist if possible. And, I'm glad someone else agrees that the MOB dresses are awful for the most part, and VERY over priced! Mine for this wedding came from Nordstrom, on sale. I'm just happy to feel this way at least a little about my body! .
Super Contributor

Oh my.

Valued Contributor

@imaclthinghog:Just was looking through my posts to see what made it to the new forum set up. I don't know what you meant. Could you please explain?
To the other members who responded. I ended up with a completely different dress. My daughter had told me she was doing all vintage. Her dress and plan for hair and make up. As well as some of the other extra decorations for the reception.
I just felt I would look silly in an Edwardian style. So I searched all the sites, we even went back to the shop she bought her wedding dress at. Oh...the dresses were awful the fabrics, embellishments, just horrible dresses. A few were the same sample we saw last August! And the prices were at least $600!
I went back to Nordstroms site. I found two beautiful dresses, one from my favourite formal designer~Tadashi Shoji. The dresses came and both looked great. The other one was from Psarro. The one I choose will need hemming and a tuck here and there. Thankfully Nordstrom pays for most of the alterations.
If I could put pics up!
Anyway...thanks for all your opinions and input. :-)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
I have never heard of Psarro but Tadashi Shoji has beautiful,dresses.