Valued Contributor

Re: What's your system for once-worn clothing?

I never wear anything again without washing it first.  (except coats)

Trusted Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

I am far from a fashionista, but here's what I used to do when I worked and wore something briefly with me barely moving around and no sweating, and wanted to wear again without washing it.  I used to hang it back up, with the hanger facing the other way than the other hangers in my closet.  Kind of backwards hanging, I guess you could say.

That's what I do. I think I read

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

I am far from a fashionista, but here's what I used to do when I worked and wore something briefly with me barely moving around and no sweating, and wanted to wear again without washing it.  I used to hang it back up, with the hanger facing the other way than the other hangers in my closet.  Kind of backwards hanging, I guess you could say.

I learned that on these forum a long time ago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just air out my clothing overnight... and wear many  more times.  I  am so clean that my clothing does not really get dirty... I do not sweat, or smell.  Maybe I am fortunate. everything just goes together... no seperation needed... 

Honored Contributor

I also don't smell or have body odor @SeaMaiden  so I'm able to wear things more than once.  

Esteemed Contributor

Color me confused. Posters hang once worn garments away from freshly laundered items as if some cooties are going to have a field day in the closet jumping from blouse to blouse. Yet they have no problem putting that once worn item (which might or might not be infested with those cooties) back ON THEIR BODY.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz 

It's not that they're contaminated. I just like to know I've worn it once, because two wearings warrants laundering no matter what.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@magicmoodz 

It's not that they're contaminated. I just like to know I've worn it once, because two wearings warrants laundering no matter what.

@house_cat 

I see. Some of these systems would never work for my closet aesthetic. I hang clothes by category, then style (i.e. woven vs knit), next by sleeve length and finally by color. To get garments out of order would give me closet anxiety.😄

Some of our differences might be attributed to geography. If someone has a closet full of woolens, cashmeres, etc, chances are we can get more than two wearings from a garment.

Both dry cleaning and laundering are very hard on fabrics. And then there is the whole issue of plastics being emitted into our waterways from laundering polyesters, nylons, rayons, etc. These plastics can have a harmful effect on our health.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@magicmoodz 

@house_cat  Why? Are you on a farm mucking the stalls? Maybe I could understand then....

Honored Contributor

I put them back on the hanger if it was a hanging item then I clip the hanger on the few extra hangers I have in my closet.  The item is facing toward me while all the other clothes are facing in the regular closet formation.  That way I know the item can be worn again and possibly needs a touch up with the iron.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Something I should have mentioned - I was reminded last night when I got home.  I was wearing a white cotton top.

If my clothes are "sweaty" .... I hand wash them as soon as I take them off.  Perspiration can damage fibers.

------------------------------------------

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I rarely wear tops twice.  Either it goes in the hamper or I hand wash it that night or the next morning.   When dry - back in the closet.  Casual cottons just go in the hamper.

Pants - I carefully put them on  the pants hanger and hang them separately on this over-the-door hanger rack.