Contributor

Re: What's your criteria for purging clothing?

I also look for things that have stains that won't come out, but I tend to make them "around the house" clothes if possible and take them out of the closet and put into drawers.

Anything that has too many holes to be saved normally gets tossed.  

i have a donation bin that sits on my sofa and as I find things that don't fit and still are in good shape, they go into the bin.  I need to go to the donation box more often though.

I used to go through my closets twice a year, when the time changed, to pull out things I am not wearing because they are too small, too large or just uncomfortable and put them into the donation box.  I need to get back to that rule as it kept my closets more manageable.

I'm getting better at getting rid of things I don't really love, but use as "emergency outfilts" when I am too lazy to do the laundry.  I have way too many clothes, so this is an ongoing project for me.

Since I am a plus-sized woman and am hard to fit, it sometimes makes it harder for me to get rid of things.

Respected Contributor

I follow a three year rule since closet space isn’t an issue. Some of the things I keep are old, but classics that don’t go out of style.

The quality is superior to what’s sold these days.

Honored Contributor

I just donated 3 large contractor trash bags, full of clothing, to a womens' shelter.    All the items were good......but I was bored with them.

I do this when the mood strikes me.    I have no "criteria".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

If its out of style, and if I haven't worn it in a year.

Esteemed Contributor

My purge criteria is mainly my mood. If I am not in purge mode, nothing is going. I have a hard time parting with clothing items unless they are too big. (recent weight loss.) I never want to be those sizes ever again! 

Shoes: only if they are uncomfortable or no longer stylish. Went through all my many shoes last week when the weather was bad. Donated a half dozen pairs of shoes and will donate another six pairs of sandals next month. Now I know not to buy any more shoes and to be very, very selective about buying more clothes. Do not need more of either.

I love what I buy. If I buy something and do not love it, back it goes, with very few exceptions. I don't have shoes or clothes in my closet unworn with tags still on, unless I bought them at the end of last season, waiting for warmer weather to arrive- like sneakers and sandals. I strictly limit purchase of fast fashion items.

Last week I was in purge mode. Dropped off a bag to Goodwill yesterday and have started a clothes and shoes recycling bag for a spring fundraiser- items like T shirts and sneakers too well worn to donate.

Next up: bags. This will hurt because I love good quality leather bags. Some are new, but out of fashion. May save to sell. Definitely not baying any new bags anytime soon! Bought 3 at Christmastime (2 Dooneys, one Cole Haan). All are gorgeous leather and bought at crazy great sale prices. For spring/ summer I will reuse the bag DS bought me for my last birthday. Love it. Lots of pockets, but mostly love that he was bold enough to select a bag for me with no help from his wife, and he knows I am very, very particular about my bags!

Honored Contributor

The one-in-one-out works for me. I also get rid of pieces I haven't worn for the past couple of years. 

Honored Contributor

I am pretty good at keeping the closet cleaned out, but there are some things that I really like, just don't wear them any more because they are to dressy...church is so casual these days, as well as just life in general....I have a real problem getting rid of those things.

Honored Contributor

If it looks like swiss cheese then it's time to go.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I am pretty good at keeping the closet cleaned out, but there are some things that I really like, just don't wear them any more because they are to dressy...church is so casual these days, as well as just life in general....I have a real problem getting rid of those things.

I know what you mean, @Mom2Dogs

Since I'm not out in the workplace and wouldn't wear a wool suit or jacket anyway, last year I donated all my work clothes from the 90s and on.  Lots of wool suits, jackets, good dresses, and other things I just don't wear anymore.   The hardest part was cataloging everything: taking photos and making a list for income tax donation purposes.  

I did keep a few items such as a tailored beige wool gabardine jumpsuit from the 70s.  It was identical to one worn by Jamie Lyn Bauer when she was one of the four sisters featured back then.  I was pretty tickled after I'd bought it and then saw it on her on television.

Also a dress that reminds me of something Phyrne Fisher would have worn in Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.  The weird thing is that I think it came with an underskirt that was white and pleated, so you could wear it with about six inches of pleats showing at the bottom.  Somehow that part disappeared.  

I hate when that happens!  Phryne dress.jpg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Like @Mom2Dogs I'm pretty good at controlling the order of my closet.  I keep an empty  bag in the closet for discards which will eventually be sorted through for donation.  I have a few reasons for discarding.  Among them are: I simply no longer care for the item; something I haven't worn in ages and it's not special enough to hang onto; a weak moment purchase I was never in love with are a few.  I never place a soiled item back in my wardrobe or my donation bag.  If something gets soiled and won't come clean it goes in the dumpster outside my building. My house clothes are loungewear/sleepwear items I've generally purchased for wearing around the house, so I rarely move a casual fashion I will no longer wear outside into the mix.