Honored Contributor

What's your criteria for purging clothing?

I have very limited closet space, so I stick by the rule of "one thing in requires one thing out".  I know that's kind of harsh, but it works for me.

How do you decide when a garment needs to go?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: What's your criteria for purging clothing?

If it is something I would no longer wear out it goes.  

Super Contributor

I follow that same rule - also if I haven't worn it in a year it goes into the donation bag.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I have very limited closet space, so I stick by the rule of "one thing in requires one thing out".  I know that's kind of harsh, but it works for me.

How do you decide when a garment needs to go?

I do the same, works for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several things. 

If I put it on and look in the mirror in our bathroom (large mirror) and think yikes!, out it goes. 

If it has a stain on it I can’t get out, out it goes.

If it’s a cardigan (I wear them by themselves, closed) and there is ANY hint of “gaposis”, in the front, out it goes. 

If it’s too tight, especially in the arms, out it goes. I like my clothes really loose. If I feel a top is too tight I fool with it all day. 

And then finally, if I find that I’m just never reaching for it in my closet, I pull it out and try it on and try to figure out why I’m not wearing it and make a decision on it.  It’s usually because it fits one of the criteria above. 

I have emotional attachment, in a way, to only one summer sweater. I just love it. And it’s too big now and this spring, I’m going to give it one more try to see how it looks, but it’s more than likely time for it to move on also. And I’ll be sad on that one. 

I do the same thing with shoes.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Frequent Contributor

I pull out what I haven't worn in a while, and pack them away for about a year.  After that year is up, if I haven't looked for anything that I packed, then it is put in a bag for donation, without going through the packed clothes again.  I've just lost some weight (on Nutrisystem), and the bigger clothes, I put in a separate bag and give to a cousin.

Honored Contributor

No criteria.  It's a garment by garment decision.  I keep a bag in the bottom of the closet and drop stuff in for various reasons.  When it's full, I'll drop the bag off at Goodwill.   

I keep a bag in the bottom of the closet and drop stuff in it for whatever reason.  When the bag is full, I bring it to Goodwill.  

Honored Contributor

Simple: worn out - dated - stained - doesn't fit - doesn't really compliment me - uncomfortable, they all go! 

I want to open my closet and every single item in there is something I can wear any time and feel good in.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

If it’s a cardigan (I wear them by themselves, closed) and there’s is ANY hint of “gaposis”, in the front, out it goes. 

@gidgetgh

I agree with your list, but this one made me laugh!  Gaposis!  I hate that!  I too wear my cardis closed, as tops. and I frequently sew them closed.  I teach JHS and I would worry all day if the buttons were to come loose and send all my students into therapy. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I agree with a previous poster--it's a garment by garment decision.  Could be because it doesn't fit anymore!!, has stains I can't get out, don't like it anymore or have no reason to wear it.  It all depends.