Honored Contributor

What's wrong with "trying too hard"?

[ Edited ]

Gary just said you "won't look like you're trying too hard."  I've heard other hosts / vendors say the same thing.

What does "trying too hard" mean

What's wrong with "trying too hard" when it comes to dressing?  

Honored Contributor

Re: What's wrong with "trying too hard"?

[ Edited ]

To me it looks like someone is trying to look very fashionable and "on trend" and ending up looking awkward to embarrasing and also focusing so so hard on trying to impress.

So all their efforts ends up looking at everything they are wearing and feeling embarrassed for them and how long they tried to put it all together rather than looking at how nice and great they look.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Gary just said you "won't look like you're trying too hard."  I've heard other hosts / vendors say the same thing.

What does "trying too hard" mean

What's wrong with "trying too hard" when it comes to dressing?  

To me it means you're high maintenance. I guess we are supposed to look " effortless," which as we all know takes a lot of effort. 😂

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

DESPERATE! NOT A GOOD LOOK!!!!

Honored Contributor

Sometimes when people "try too hard", they overdo their look, forgetting that "less is more".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

playing to the viewers who really don't know how to dress 

just more buzz words 

Honored Contributor

To me 'trying too hard' means trying to look like a celebrity or a model in an ad somewhere outrageous. For instance, I'm a stay-at-home retired old woman and I think a trying-too-hard look would be me wearing some kind of thing from a runway show as I skate off to board my private jet.

Respected Contributor

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes people are accused of "giving up" because they are too casual or too low maintenance, so ...

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

What "trying too hard" means to some can mean something entirely different to others.  For example, since D&C and most of the Q's fashion items are ultra casual, that "trying too hard" means you're over-dressed (when you really aren't, you look like you put some thought into your outfit) and being "comfortable" is the most important thing.  

Respected Contributor

To me, trying too hard means that one is trying too much to look trendy.  Like a thousand years ago in high school, trying to be the cool girl and wearing head to toe whatever is 'in'.