Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's with the tops with which you can't wear a bra?

I really don't care for the cold shoulder look...i know i would never consider purchasing any and i truly have not seen one person that i think looks nice in them....be it blouse or dress...

Honored Contributor

I won't buy a top if a regular bra can't be worn with it. I wore a strapless a few years ago to a Wedding and it was around my waist by end of the night. Every time I danced it slid lower and lower. I hate them. I took it off in the car. 

Respected Contributor

Not for me!  At this age "the girls" have to be hiked up high.  If I trip over one, I might break a hip or something!😳

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

It's everywhere.

I did a search on Nordstrom, L&T, Macy's looking for tops.  If you search on "new arrivals" that is 75% of the new tops.

Some have tank straps, but most do not.

While I have a strapless bra that I paid a ton of money for and works very well, that particular look for day, in a casual top, doesn't work for me.  It works better on an evening dress on me.

Well, you can't wear tank top with an off the shoulder top.  But I agree about strapless bras, that's why I'm thinking about a bandeau.  I think that would work much better with a casual  summer top. 

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post.  I was referring to something like this when I mentioned tank straps. I don't know how else to describe it.  YOu have the look of strapless but can wear a bra.

Tank.jpg
===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I have broad shoulders........and would look like a 747 in "cold shoulders"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I Know

but I bought a couple of tops this weekend that can be either OTS or not, so that worked out well.  has the look but not the annoyance.

it's fun trend for the summer 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Theyre for kids.  Real women can't go bra-less. 

Excuse me??? I am 100% a real woman and am able to go braless any day of the week. Geez

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I have a couple of sphagetti strap tops, but I always wear my regular bra, which is flesh toned and also thin straps to boot. The bra straps are well "hidden."

Or, there are so many nicely colored bras out there. You have my permission to play with colored bras! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't know for sure how I feel about this and I don't know what people do in other areas but around here, pretty much everyone wears regular bras with all their tops.  I mean, the tops which are cut in at the neck, they wear regular bras and their straps show.  Also, tops which have very skimpy traps, they wear regular bras and the bra straps show.  In some ways, it looks a bit sloppy, but in other ways, I'd rather see this than to see everyone running around without a bra!

I'm somewhat small on the top but I have yet to find a strapless bra that is comfortable and flatering.  I still wear them on occasion but try to limit the time that I wear them.

As for the cold shoulder tops --- when they came around before I wore them occasionally and will wear them now occasionally.  Some do look like they are more geared and a little more bare for the younger set, but there are ones which are not so bare and look more appropriate for the more mature.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Theyre for kids.  Real women can't go bra-less. 

Excuse me??? I am 100% a real woman and am able to go braless any day of the week. Geez

I thought that comment was pretty obnoxious as well. I am a 34D, so obviously I have to wear a bra but my friend is a 32A and looks adorable in the new off shoulder trend. She is every bit of a "real women", as am I. This poster gets more and more ridiculolus all the time.