Honored Contributor

What's with all the price increases? Quit squeezing my wallet.

To be honest, I'm buying that inexpensive stuff on HQ lately, four of the tulip tops on clearance, plus two more.. I don't need anything "good" at the moment and they seem to be filling the bill for my impulse purchases. I will check out Linea and that's it. Jewelry? Carolyn Pollack is about the only one I'm looking at. Her styles just appeal to me and her prices were better than Gem Day.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's with all the price increases? Quit squeezing my wallet.

I agree, the price increases, along with the s&h increases makes me think more than twice on any purchase I might be considering, even Linea these days. Besides I am trying to pare down and don't need anything right now. Add to that the sizing issues and I just can't justify anything from QVC anymore.

"To each their own, in all things".
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Prices are up everywhere I look.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I allowed myself to overbuy and my closet and dresser have more in them than they should. I'm tired of having too much around me.

I did quit buying jewelry - nothing for the last 15 months now. I just keep finding "new" in the house when I see something I might like elsewhere. Even sold a few pieces last fall, and donated a few more to thrift. Doesn't seem to have made the tiniest dent!

I wasn't as good on clothes in 2014 - but I bought very little and got rid of as many items as I bought. Still, there's too much. Just this week instead of watching the clearance shows or even the new shows, I sorted my main closet and my largest dresser.

I don't need to buy anything except one "column-of-color" outfit that will take me anywhere I want to go from now until summer. I have sweaters, jackets, jewelry, even shoes. Two fresh pieces that fit well and feel good on and I'm going to declare victory.

Those higher prices aren't even going to be my issue right now - I just want to declutter my life in a way that I can live with. Tossing everything like they did on What Not to Wear just doesn't fit my personality. Besides, I'm alone a whole lot nowadays and can wear what's paid for and comfortable as long as the mirror isn't too frightening!

(Sorry - I just needed to talk to myself for a while. That closet clean-up this week horrified me.)

Regular Contributor

I've decided to not buy anything that I truly don't need. Time to downsize some of the things I don't use and donate them and have a nice spring garage sale to boot. It's amazing how you can make a nice bit of money having one of them. I just feel better when I've cleared out things, it really clears your mind as well. As for the prices and s&h charges, best thing to do is don't buy. And if you're an impulse shopper, turn off the telly! Smiley Happy I do!

Honored Contributor

Thankfully I don't have a need to impulse purchase.

I like a bargain but I want good items on sale, not items to buy just to buy something. That doesn't make sense for my wardrobe or my wallet. Eventually all those cheap items add up and the money could have been used to buy something better that would last longer and that I'd get more wear out of.

Honored Contributor

I just don't over buy anymore. I don't need 10 pairs of jeans or a dozen pairs of boots.

When we moved last year, our new house has a huge walk in closet. I organized everything and got rid of things I wasn't wearing. I pay attention to what I wear the most and try not to buy things that I will only get 1 or 2 wearing out of.

Something really has to catch my eye for me to buy it.

Super Contributor

For some reason it seems if prices go down in one area (gas for example) they go up in other areas (food, clothing). I think prices have gone up at the grocery store! I also notice clothing prices going up. It's just the way it is, I don't like it and I guess most people don't but we all have the ability to decide whether to purchase or not.

I tend to stick to basics the older I get. I am not as stylish and fashion forward as I was when I was younger and of course just trying to deal with my aging body and getting through menopause looking the best I can. I think what works for me is spending most of my money on things that really work for me and I wear the most. So if I find a pair of jeans that fits me very well and I wear a lot, I will buy several pairs. I will occasionally mix in a trendy piece or two to update my wardrobe but I do try to wait for a sale or take advantage or coupons etc. to get a better price. I try to buy quality items at the best price I can find.

I think your needs and your wardrobe changes drastically once you are no longer in the workforce! It's a completely different closet that you need. I hardly ever wear a suit now and years ago that is mostly what I wore to work every day. I spent most of my money on work clothing. Now I spend most of my money on leisure and casual wear because that is what I need.

I think we all know what we can spend and although it's frustrating to see price increases it's unfortunately a sign of our times and our economy and just something we have to accept.