Honored Contributor

Re: What's up with all the pull on pants?

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Effie54 Well, I've been interested in, and read all the responses so far.  Styles cycle in and out in women's fashions.  Glad that there are choices for all body types.  Clothing choices are so personal.  And once you are an adult your choices are your own.

My preference in slacks is a fly front.   I also like a side zipper in women's dress slacks but those are not readily available.

The pull ons are great for me, at least, for informal dressing or when I was recovering from surgery--but that is just me.  

I still wear slacks or skirts and blazers, or actual matched suits even though I am retired.  I know the trend these days is for the long shirt or tunic style and I do have some well loved selections of those.  These most often are still paired with zipper and button jeans, untucked, of course, and a sweater coat or ruana.  

However, I am the odd person that still likes to tuck in my shirt or dressy blouse.  For me, that is my "polished" look.  Heck, I still wear pantyhose, or in bitter cold winter weather, fleecey tights.

And I know that panty hose has been "out--way, way out" for what--more than a decade maybe? Approaching two, maybe?  I just don't feel dressed without wearing them.

So, folks, my bottom line is purchase and wear what makes you happy--statement jewelry or not, full makeup or none, pull on, zipper, or button, cold shoulder, French cuffs, shark bite hem, bare back, whatever.  Revel in the plethora of choices available so that we each can have our very own personal style signature.

Bottom line is, please, remember DO put on clothes, a smile, and your best foot forward when you do leave your home to embrace the world and spread some happiness around.Smiley Happy and *wink*

@aroc3435 I too live in the dark ages and still wear pantyhose both with dress pants and dresses/skirts. Besides not liking my bare legs I also can't stand the feeling of bare feet in dress shoes.  

@Andreatoo I have never had my zippers or buttons put holes in or distort my shirt fabric either.

Super Contributor

@arizona babe wrote:
Pull on pants are the greatest for women in the menopause years and possibly pre menopause, things just get thicker in the waist no matter what you do- and lets talk about how comfortable they are- being that most tops these days are a throw back to maternity wear it really doesn't matter what kind of waistband it is- I am glad that they make them with the no roll waistband- but you can still find button pants or jeans

Spot on! Being post menopause and having back surgery 10 years ago, anything with a button/zipper fly is extremely uncomfortable. I gave up tucking in shirts many moons ago so style wise is makes no difference in the waist band. There is a 5 pound wiggle room with them, plus the added fact you get a smoother sillouette with pull ons vs button zipper pant. To this day I can't even wear my size 10 Levis all day any longer without waiting to get them off.

Honored Contributor

Well, I have lived long enough to eat my words. I never thought I would ever purchase a pair of pull on pants. The past few weeks have been difficult because I have sciatica. Pull on pants make it easy to dress and I thank God that they have been invented.

So I guess in the scheme of things, never say never.

Honored Contributor

I have one pr of Talbots pull ons. I will honestly  say they are higher end than they used to be

I was surprized how nice the pr I bought look ,on.

Esteemed Contributor

This old lady owns pants that pull-on, zip with elastic waist, zip with banded waist, front zippers, side zippers and even one with a zpper on the backside.  In other words  zipper or no zipper doesn't impact my pants buying decisions.

@vermint  Thank you for calling out the people who say their age as such and such years "young."  An age is years old.  IMO to say it any other way is disrespecting the age the person is like it's something to be ashamed of.  If you're going to call yourself years young then keep your age a secret like ladies used to do in the past.  I won't dive too deeply into the subject of clothing sales presentations always including terms like "looks youthful."  That said,  I often wonder what's wrong with us that retailers feel they can't sell a garment to their mature customer base using words like stylish and chic.   

Respected Contributor

It is rare I wear a belt on pants. I was recently asked to lift up my top to check if I had a belt on. I had NYDJ Jeans on at the airport. I kind of smiled to myself on that request.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

To me thery're still old lady pants.  Just can't imagine wearing pants like that.  Do men wear pull ons?  As for QVC, I don't think it's a choice anymore.  About 90% of pants sold there are pull ons.

Super Contributor

@songbird wrote:

To me thery're still old lady pants.  Just can't imagine wearing pants like that.  Do men wear pull ons?  As for QVC, I don't think it's a choice anymore.  About 90% of pants sold there are pull ons.

The 'old lady pants' you speak of are the cheap polyester black ones with the skinny waist band from years back. I know, my mom used to wear those. The pull ones now come in many different fabrics from high end silk to good old denim and are extremely stylish. Leggings and jeggings have no buttons or zippers and you see them everywhere, are those old lady pants?

As far as men go, it is called basketball shorts and sweatpants. I don't think they have buttons or zippers.

Frequent Contributor

I hate them.  They accentuate any sort of tummy you have.  But I see many women in public that choose comfort over look.  Smiley Sad Another thing about these pull on jeans either by D & Co, Issac, Flexabelle or Dream Jeans.  They are a much heaver weight of fabric and not suitable for summer.

Frequent Contributor

No, they are still old lady pantsSmiley Very Happy