Respected Contributor

Re: What's up with all the pull on pants?

I have a heck of a time finding pants that fit me well but I have had such great luck shopping at J. Jill.  Their pull on pants with wide flat waistbands are so comfy.  I highly recommend them.  They've become my go-to pants store!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tyak wrote:

I have a heck of a time finding pants that fit me well but I have had such great luck shopping at J. Jill.  Their pull on pants with wide flat waistbands are so comfy.  I highly recommend them.  They've become my go-to pants store!

I have a pair of JJill’s denim knit slim leg pants on right now 🙂.  The petite inseam fits me perfectly.  @Tyak 

Respected Contributor

I see tons of young ladies wearing leggings....AKA pull on pants!!!!!! What the heck is the difference? 

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I prefer them.  I hate zippers and snaps and buttons, etc.  I just pull up and go along my way.  Easier and also more space... does not have to be an exact exact size.  

Keep them coming QVC.  

I'm the opposite. I dislike letter sizes. I like numerical, precise sizes. 

Honored Contributor

I think they are an easier fit than a set in waistband.

I personally like pants that pull on because many times the waist of pants is too big for me by the time it fits my hips and butt.  I got tired of taking things to be altered.  

I'm also not a tucker inner so it really doesn't matter to me at all.    

Esteemed Contributor

Who tucks in their tops anymore?  I haven’t seen that on anybody in years.  So, as a few have said, how can anybody tell what holds your pants up?  

Trusted Contributor

During a two week road trip from Michigan to Maine and back, I lived in my Land’s End Starfish pants. Couldn’t beat them for comfort for being in a car between 6-8 hours a day. I wore them with t shirts and hoodies for comfort and protection from all kinds of wacky weather and I was happy. That’s all that counts as far as I am concerned. And I plan on repeating the process for this fall’s two week trip to photograph waterfalls in the UP of Michigan.

Honored Contributor

I disagree that fly-front pants have to cause bulk.  On jeans, yes because you're starting with a bulky fabric in the first place.  I don't see any added bulk in the pants below.  And, I may be in the minority, but I do wear tucked in shirts. There's a place for both types as long as they fit well, but the problem is getting a well-fitted pair whether fly-front or pull-on.  For me, if they're pull-on they better skim the body or hug it.

Pants Side.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

No you are not in the minority. Plenty of us tuck! That comment that no one tucks has got to be one of the more ridiculous things I've read around here!

Oh and I've never gotten tiny holes on the front of my shirts from my snaps and buttons on pants?! Another absurd declaration. And if you follow my thread you'll also see that the buttons and zippers are not protruding through my shirt if I am untucked!

If you like pull on pants that's certainly everyone's personal choice but putting down people that don't choose to wear them isn't right either!

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 Well, I've been interested in, and read all the responses so far.  Styles cycle in and out in women's fashions.  Glad that there are choices for all body types.  Clothing choices are so personal.  And once you are an adult your choices are your own.

My preference in slacks is a fly front.   I also like a side zipper in women's dress slacks but those are not readily available.

The pull ons are great for me, at least, for informal dressing or when I was recovering from surgery--but that is just me.  

I still wear slacks or skirts and blazers, or actual matched suits even though I am retired.  I know the trend these days is for the long shirt or tunic style and I do have some well loved selections of those.  These most often are still paired with zipper and button jeans, untucked, of course, and a sweater coat or ruana.  

However, I am the odd person that still likes to tuck in my shirt or dressy blouse.  For me, that is my "polished" look.  Heck, I still wear pantyhose, or in bitter cold winter weather, fleecey tights.

And I know that panty hose has been "out--way, way out" for what--more than a decade maybe? Approaching two, maybe?  I just don't feel dressed without wearing them.

So, folks, my bottom line is purchase and wear what makes you happy--statement jewelry or not, full makeup or none, pull on, zipper, or button, cold shoulder, French cuffs, shark bite hem, bare back, whatever.  Revel in the plethora of choices available so that we each can have our very own personal style signature.

Bottom line is, please, remember DO put on clothes, a smile, and your best foot forward when you do leave your home to embrace the world and spread some happiness around.Smiley Happy and *wink*