Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's up with all the pull on pants?

Once I said I'd never wear pull-on pants or jeans -- then I had shoulder surgery and couldn't zip, button, or snap for over 2 months.  If I wanted to be able to dress myself, I had to order some pull-on jeans.  So I got 2 pair with the wide elastic top.  Oh my!  how they flattened my mid-section!  Who knew?  And no sticking-out things showing from the zipper and button closure.  My shirts and sweaters laid nice and flat.  

I buy both zippers and pull-ons these days -- there's a time and place for different styles.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Once I said I'd never wear pull-on pants or jeans -- then I had shoulder surgery and couldn't zip, button, or snap for over 2 months.  If I wanted to be able to dress myself, I had to order some pull-on jeans.  So I got 2 pair with the wide elastic top.  Oh my!  how they flattened my mid-section!  Who knew?  And no sticking-out things showing from the zipper and button closure.  My shirts and sweaters laid nice and flat.  

I buy both zippers and pull-ons these days -- there's a time and place for different styles.

This. I have pants (and shorts) of all types, and they are worn with different types of shoes and tops depending on the look I'm trying to create or the activity in which I will be participating. Variety is the spice of life!

Honored Contributor

Sales of zippered pants and elastic waist pant sales are about 50/50 where I work.  Some ladies have such severe arthritis, the elastic is wonderful for them.

Our elastic is a wide band, not the thin type Alfred Dunner uses. 

Soft Surrounds leggings have really attractive treatment of their elastic.

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

My mind immediately goes to "sweatpant" when I see this style, so I can't make myself buy them. 

I said that at one time, too.  Then I got old.  lol

Esteemed Contributor

I love pull on pants. I can wear jeans now. I can not stand buttons, zippers or snaps. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Sales of zippered pants and elastic waist pant sales are about 50/50 where I work.  Some ladies have such severe arthritis, the elastic is wonderful for them.

@ECBG 

I had forgotten about the arthrtis issue.  Not only women are victims.  A few years back a male friend asked me to get him some "arthritis friendly" things:  button hook, zipper pull, and some kitchen things that I was using. 

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

As someone else pointed out it's the age factor.  Post menopausal women prefer pull on pants.  I don't own any.  To me all pants have to have a button and zipper.  Just me.  I don't buy any non zip pants  & certainly not jeans.  That's the primary reason.

The only pull on popular to women are leasure stuff like jogging pants, etc. 

QVC also offeres elbow length sleeves for older women, etc.

I'm curious, songbird....how old are you?

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG 

I had forgotten about the arthrtis issue.  Not only women are victims.  A few years back a male friend asked me to get him some "arthritis friendly" things:  button hook, zipper pull, and some kitchen things that I was using. 

@ALRATIBA Gosh!  I hurt for some of the ladies I have helped.  They have such a challenge and I have asked them if they want me to help them put the pants on.  Those ladies are amazing!

Honored Contributor

There is room for zippers and room for pull-ons in my closet.  I have both.

I prefer pants with zippers when I am dressed up.  It is difficult for me to find pants to fit though.  The waist is always too big.  I either have to have them altered or wear a belt that leaves gathers and bulk at my waistline.

Pull on pants work for me around the house and for casual wear.  I never tuck my shirts, so no one knows.  I only buy pants with a good waist, nothing  that will roll or dig in.  Sometimes elastic waist pants are too big in the waist too and difficult to keep up.

I think pants are the most difficult item of clothing to get a good fit for most women.  Our shapes are very different.  

i don't think it matters what type of pants we prefer and buy.  As long as the fit is good and we are comfortable we will continue to buy.

I love the choices and the fact that more petite pants are available than ever before.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Effie54: Pull-on pants may be less expensive to make. They are certainly more comfortable but if you prefer "real jeans" with zippers and pants with set-in waistbands that's what you should purchase. It's great that we all have choices.