Honored Contributor

Re: What's up with all the pull on pants?

I like pull on pants from LL Bean and Lands End. They work great for me and also look great.

Respected Contributor

i used to think I would never buy pull-on jeans and that I needed a zipper and button. Then on a whim I tried a pair of slim leg pull-on jeans from the Q and they are so comfortable that I keep reaching for them instead of my zipper jeans.   And I think they look like jeans when they are on and look smoother than my zipper jeans. 

Honored Contributor

I would guess that elbow length sleeves were around way before the word "menopause" even existed.

Part of this scenario comes about because people take to heart much too much what the vendors and hosts try to make you believe, which is that everyone is trying to hide something.  Even for those who may be, items could also be presented by talking about what highlights someone's "better" features instead of having so much focus on what is considered "wrong."

Why must we always have these "either/or" discussions?  Don't people know it's a "both/and" world and always has been?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

If I had a waist I might be able to find zippered pants that fit.  Unfortunately, I am shaped like a zipper - straight up and down.  Pants with a fixed waist don't work for me - if they fit my waist they are huge in the butt and thigh area.  Elastic waisted pants are a godsend for me.  I always wear tops that cover that area anyway so nobody would know one way or the other. 

Trusted Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

If I had a waist I might be able to find zippered pants that fit.  Unfortunately, I am shaped like a zipper - straight up and down.  Pants with a fixed waist don't work for me - if they fit my waist they are huge in the butt and thigh area.  Elastic waisted pants are a godsend for me.  I always wear tops that cover that area anyway so nobody would know one way or the other. 

@Suzeecat 

I don't know if you've tried, either, Dg2 or Juniors Departments.  I find that some Juniors jeans in different brands fit me because, for the mostpart, they're not hippy. 

Honored Contributor

They are cheaper to make and there are fewer size/fit problems with elastic waist pants.  Also women like them because we can gain a a few pounds or lose a few pounds and our pants still fit.  Also, some women (and not just due to menopause) have belly weight.  We wouldn't see so many of them if they weren't extremely popular with customers.  However, there's no shortage of pants and jeans with zippers and fly fronts.  They haven't gone away but you are more likely to see them in brick&mortar stores.  

Honored Contributor

They have a lot of them for one reason only:  THEY SELL A LOT OF THEM!

I don't wear tucked in shirts.  My pull on Denim and Co. look as nice with a top and jacket or top not tucked in pants as do my zip up Talbots pants.  The only reason I wear Talbots for dress or nice occasions is the material is far far better quality and dressier.

I don't understand why some women love to hate on elastic waist pants and thereby people who wear elastic top pants.  When you go out can YOU tell the difference if the top is not tucked in?  I don't think so. 

They are far more comfortable and sometimes a better fit for many of us.  They are a better price, they are often of more casual material that feels and wears better with a little give, they wash well, they are comfortable.

So will you PLEASE stop running down pull on pants and people who wear them?  It's just not nice.  And just answer one thing:  What difference does it make?  

Esteemed Contributor

Listen.  For years I worked with tools, and had to wear pants and a heavy belt to hang them from.  Regardless of anything except making a living and surviving out of doors.  Wore lots of denim, gore-tex, and the like.

Don't do that now, love my no-belt pants.  No denim, either.  Done.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Not a nice thing to say.

@songbird 

And also not true.  I'm post-meopausal and I don't wear pull-on pants.  Prefer zipper pants and also hate all that stretch they're putting into pants now.  They don't stay put.

Esteemed Contributor

Old people need them like me but cheaper.