Occasional Contributor

Confused on the difference between Susan Graver's Milano knit and Ponte knit. How are they different? How are they similar? Wish I could ask Susan.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never purchased Susan's ponte knit, but looking at some items, her ponte is 67% rayon, 28% nylon, and 5% spandex.  On the other hand, Milano knit (which I have purchased) is 95% polyester and 5% spandex.  

Milano knit seems heavier than liquid knit or lustra knit to me.  Other ponte knits I have (Linea) seem a bit more substantial than Milano knit. 

Susan is on Facebook, so you could ask her there if you use it.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's the difference?

[ Edited ]

Milano knits have a slight ribbed texture and is usually not as thick as ponte knits.

Milano is single knit. Ponte is double knit.

Milano knit looks different on each side where the ribbing is visible on one side and not the other. Ponte looks the same on both sides.

How did I know that? ...my mom was a professional weaver.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Milano pants are definitely all smooth (no lines), but the fabric is more like polyester.....has more is a menswear vibe in my opinion. Her Ponte pants vary. Some are very heavy and some are not. There is no real way to tell ahead of time. I actually like both - her Milano and Ponte pants (and both the thicker and thinner style longer).

Trusted Contributor

I find the ponte knit much thicker and heavier.  Milano knit is a bit silkier but not anything like liquid knit.