Respected Contributor

Re: What's that thing called?

truly, i would have my tops altered.   the clip would be too for me personally. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

I don't believe I ever saw them sold separately only as an adjunct to a top or a dress. I don't believe I've ever had anything with it and I'm sorry to hear they did not stay clipped. I like the idea because there are subtle and unobtrusive, I would prefer it to an obi or any other kind of belt, especially if it matches the fabric of whatever it is you're wearing

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne

I get what you're saying, even though you missed a word, but I like the idea of options. It's not a permanent change

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo

omg you caught me!!

i know what you're saying about the clips.  unfortunately it would remind me of putting safety pins in my clothes.  just my imo, crazy as it sounds!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo

JoAnn's and Walmart sell the basic ones.

There are fancier ones on ETSY.

Image result for waist cinch clips

Honored Contributor

Makes me think of suspenders.

Trusted Contributor

So many things from the past that I wish we still had. Lately I have been wondering if they still make sweater guards. I have several sweaters that do not have buttons but I would like them to stay closed when walking around. Maybe I will go to JoAnns and see what I can find and then jazz it up.

Honored Contributor

Oh goodness I am showing my age but back in the day I had tons of these things.  It was back when boxy, unconstructed blazers were big so you used these things to try and bring them in (the blazers were very inexpensive and not worth the cost of tailoring).  The clips were all decorated and were almost used as an accessory.  Between those and shoulder pads up to my earlobes that was quite the time in terms of fashion . . . tee hee!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  1. @momtochloe
    Well boxy is clearly back so it's a good time for them again! Did you find that they didn't stay in place? I never had any experience with them
Honored Contributor

Could you use it on the inside of your garment?

The gathers would be the same.