Trusted Contributor

Re: What's more fun--shopping on a whim or purchasing with intent?

Hi, magic!

I find it stressful to shop for something specific, especially when I know exactly what I am looking for.  But let's face it, it must be done at times.  So when I do shop for something specific, I focus on just that item.

Shopping on a whim is much more fun.  I still have to love what I buy, but it can be anything.  Shoes, top, scarf, etc.  I can shop on a whim with a friend, too.  If I am shopping for something specific, I have to do it alone.

@maddiecat - Good luck with your job search!

Paws and enjoy life.
Esteemed Contributor

@maddiecat wrote:

Hi again, magic!

My August vacation to California got cancelled because of work.  I had given the clients my vacation dates weeks ahead, and wouldn't you know -- two weeks before I'm due to leave, I get absolutely slammed with work.  There's no way I could be gone with all this taking place.  My company has suffered greatly since the summer, culminating in recent 25% pay cuts for my coworker and me.  Ouch!

On a happier note, I have been interviewing for a new job!  I would be working in a corporate environment in a creative capacity.  I have been through two phone interviews, an in-person interview, and a video interview.  Just this morning I was asked to participate in another phone interview this week.  It's getting closer and closer!  The job does have some drawbacks (long hours and some mandatory overtime during February-May), but it's a stable and global company, and I would receive a competitive salary and full benefits.  I feel very good about how I've done in the interviews.  Wish me luck!

How are you, magic?  How has your summer been?  How is your job?  What's on your wish list for fall?

@maddiecat

maddie, I am glad you are being proactive looking for employment opportunities.  Sadly it seems like the writing is on the wall with your current company.  Ouch is right.  That is a hefty cut in pay.  I have been there, but if I remember correctly, probably no more than 3%.  

Given the number of interviews you have had the prospects for this job seem very, very good.  I am sure you are polished and poised and present yourself as an asset to any organization.  Will you miss your current job, or are you ready to move on?  I am sending positive vibes your way--please let me know how everything turns out!  

I can't believe summer is over--that's how I feel once Labor Day arrives. It is hot and humid here, but some of the trees are dropping their leaves and others have turned a majestic shade of red!  I really am done buying any summer clothing and am moving on to fall/winter items.  I want several new pieces of outerwear this year.  I think I am in trouble.  

Take care my friend.  

Honored Contributor

Everything I buy is impulse, clothing and jewelry. Right now I really need a new winter coat and I just dread the shopping process. I'd rather just chance upon it and think "that's it." This goes for TV, online, and in stores.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I shop because I love to see new colors and designs or I have a need.

If it's because I'm dying to see variety, I'll pick up what I need if I find that special nugget.  I love to go with friends for that.  If, however, I'm on a mission (I'm always on time constraints) I go along.  I have a lot og fround to cover and a "mission"!  I always get "Where ever did you find that and take me next time"!  I'm not secretive about my list at all.  Almost everyone wants me to style them!  It's fun but I have to have an extra day!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was younger I would go shopping because I wanted a certain item and walk from store to store in an outdoor mall.  Now I do most of my shopping on line which I thought I would never do.  On a whim is fun but usually when new seasons come around I like to purchase a few new pieces.  To be honest when I was younger and on a mission for a certain item it was not that much fun especially trying on and taking off clothes in several stores and when you can't find what you are looking for, you get really bummed out.

Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

The story of my life:

When I NEED an outfit for something specific I can shop all day and not find anything.

When I DON'T NEED anything, but I'm just out with a friend, I find ten outfits I'd like to have! Smiley LOL

Trusted Contributor

When I was working, shopping on a whim was a lot of fun.  Now that I am retired, shopping with intent to purchase is more my style and, I have to say, more enjoyable.  I am far more picky now about want I want and buy and, I find, I "need" far less.  I've really gotten tired of being continually sold to. 

Esteemed Contributor

Frankly I have no clothing "needs" at the current time but I'm always on the lookout for a new top or a new pair of shoes or a great fitting pair of high rise skinny jeans.

It is that time of year when I go through my wardrobe and get rid of clothing I don't wear, don't like, or won't miss and I just did a closet purge of my denim jackets. It was much to hot to wear denim jackets this summer and so I tried on all of the ones I had over a basic top and got rid of ones that were too tight, or the sleeves were too long, or the body was too long, or they were too heavy.

Out went a few DG2 denim jackets with a "what was I thinking?" when I bought those. They were too big, long, and heavy. I kept my Joan Rivers denim jackets as they fit well and are lightweight. In the past year I bought a few faux leather zip jackets and I love the way they look and wore them more than my denim jackets so I won't miss the denim jackets I got rid of as those faux leather jackets will be my fall outerwear.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:
Everything I buy is impulse, clothing and jewelry. Right now I really need a new winter coat and I just dread the shopping process. I'd rather just chance upon it and think "that's it." This goes for TV, online, and in stores.

@depglass

We can help you find one!  Tell us what size/price you need.