New Contributor

Re: What's more fun--shopping on a whim or purchasing with intent?

I like both. But I get the most fun out of deciding I want to purchase something and then searching for the best possible deal, price, and savings. It's the trill of the hunt that makes it that much more rewarding when you finally get it BUT for an amazing price!

Good question!

Respected Contributor

I must be the odd one out. I don't like shopping.

I do love pretty clothes. But finding them is a pain in the neck!

If I could just have the perfect wardrobe delivered to me, without all of the tiring legwork, I'd be very pleased.

Honored Contributor

Definitely shopping on a whim!!!  When I browse with no particular intent, this is the most fun.  No pressre to find something I need.  Just mindless looking.  If I happen upon a treasure at a fantastic price, then --- yippeee!!!  That's great!!!  If I don't, no big deal --- "cause I'm just nosing around.  This - to me -- is just plain fun!

Now -- shopping with intent --- that's serious business!  The heat is on. 

I get very frustrated when I search and search and can't find what I am looking for and/or need.  Or -- when I find it -- but the price is out of reach.  That -- is no fun --- at all!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I Heart shopping . I am glad shopping with a purpose such as DH's underwear, coats, jeans, workclothes ,etc. is just an every so often thing. It is necessary since he is the exact opposite of a happy shopper.

I try to satisfy my whim shopping in my favorite thrift store. I love looking for names like Chicos, Talbots, Coldwater Creek, even designers from QVC (and that can help me figure out thier sizing to order online). I have found some real bargains. Of course it does take time and like Forrest's Mama said about life "it is like a box of chocolates --you never know what you are going to get."

I do try to sort out and organize every spring and fall so my closet isn't too crowded. I even enjoy this process.

Respected Contributor

i love the thrill of the hunt and finding the best price.  but then again i love all shopping, too.

Trusted Contributor

I have a great time looking for bargains.  It's so much fun to find the perfect something to complete an outfit when you weren't even looking for it.

Shopping can feel like a real chore when I'm looking for something specific (like basic black trousers or a black pencil skirt).  But for me, nothing beats finding that item you were on the hunt for at a great price!

Honored Contributor

I love it any way I can get it!  LOL

I don't like knowing what I want and not being able to find it.  That annoys me. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maddiecat wrote:

Hi, magic!

Just stopped by and saw you had started an interesting topic!

I miss shopping on a whim.  I definitely had more fun years ago when I could do that.  I remember at times looking in my closet and seeing so many wonderful choices that it was hard to decide which lovely outfit to wear.  Nowadays, I look at the stuff in my closet and think, did I wear that last week?  I still love clothes, but I guess I'm loving them less than I used to.  Does that make sense?

Purchasing with intent is far less fun.  It always seems that when I intend to buy a certain piece, then I can't find anything I like.

Right now I'm just "making do" with what I have until the weather turns cooler.  Then I can pull out some old favorites and pretend I have a new wardrobe!

@maddiecat

Hello maddie!  It is good to "see" you.  I've missed your thought-provoking posts, but know that you must have been on your annual August vacation?  If so, I hope is was memorable!  

I understand what you are saying and do agree.  It is sad to see where we, as a disposable society, have come.  Fine tailoring of fine fabrics has taken a backseat to polyester knit stretch fabrics where one size fits (almost) all! I believe that blame can be shared among designers, manufacturers and retailers.  

Have you had an enjoyable summer, maddie?  I hope your job has stabilized.  I know all too well how disconcerting it can be wondering whether or not contracts are going to be renewed, if there will be budget cuts, and how many staff will be "downsized".  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Hi again, magic!

My August vacation to California got cancelled because of work.  I had given the clients my vacation dates weeks ahead, and wouldn't you know -- two weeks before I'm due to leave, I get absolutely slammed with work.  There's no way I could be gone with all this taking place.  My company has suffered greatly since the summer, culminating in recent 25% pay cuts for my coworker and me.  Ouch!

On a happier note, I have been interviewing for a new job!  I would be working in a corporate environment in a creative capacity.  I have been through two phone interviews, an in-person interview, and a video interview.  Just this morning I was asked to participate in another phone interview this week.  It's getting closer and closer!  The job does have some drawbacks (long hours and some mandatory overtime during February-May), but it's a stable and global company, and I would receive a competitive salary and full benefits.  I feel very good about how I've done in the interviews.  Wish me luck!

How are you, magic?  How has your summer been?  How is your job?  What's on your wish list for fall?

Trusted Contributor

I enjoy shopping every weekend, that is my favorite pasttime and my husband calls it my hobby.  I like just browsing around and on a whim if I see something I like, I try it or them on.  It is the thrill of the hunt.  Sometimes, the checkout line may be too long so I put stuff back, or I decide I am spending too much that week.  Then on the following week, I go on a search to find the apparel I put back. Sometimes, I am lucky and find it again and sometimes, I missed out on the purchase and then I get mad at myself.  Anyway, it is so much fun for me and I enjoy it.

Miata 1