Honored Contributor

Re: What's happening to Chico's?

Chicos never sold silk, lace, cashmere and satin.  They always sold synthetics.  Chicos was never in the same league as Talbots.  Chicos hasn't changed at all, in my opinion.  I liked and still like their jackets.  At one time, I added one or two a year to my wardrobe.  However, the prices have gone up.  Now when I see one I really like, the price is a deal breaker for me.  Chicos is selling more casual, easy care, relaxed clothing but every retailer and designer is doing that now.....it's what's in style.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

I just loved the fake fringed suede  skirt they had earlier but not in my size.  I wish they would feature smaller sizes.  I like to look there, there is plenty of color

Really?  Smaller that 000 and 00?  Which are the quivalent of standard size 0 and size 2. 

Respected Contributor

Agree with you about the store being stocked differently and maybe not as "edited" in its array of clothing.  As for no mirrors in the dressing rooms, this got corrected a long time ago at all three of the Chico's within 4 miles of my house.  (Chico's musr do well in our area to have that many shops.)

I find the service either too smothering and too friendly at times or lacking altogether, such as when I'm standing at an umanned cash register and the employees are off in the corner in a private conversation.  

I've actually stood there a couple times with other customers who just waited and waited..........until I , the impatient one, asked loudly whether anyone was available to ring up a sale.

Used to spend a lot of money at Lord & Taylor, but mostly for  business clothing.  Macy's is a mess to me........too much junk to dig through to find anything good.  I don't need anything badly enough to spend the time browsing Neiman's or Bloomie's.   Chico's is probably  just a habit because I can see everything within a short time and am too lazy to go elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

Namealreadytaken, That snobby salesperson was obviously mistaken. JCP does carry a line called  St. John's Bay though.

Thanks, Morganjen. So she insulted me and would have insulted me further had I been a regular JC Penney customer.  Interesting.  

There is nothing wrong with JC Penney.  I used to buy lots of my boys' school clothes  from their catalog, which I loved.  I am always in a hurry and shop where I get great, fast service and that was once a merit at the Chico store in my area.

I can see, based on that, why some have not felt welcomed in the store.  I once knew the manager (sang in the choir with me at one time) but that lady is no longer there, and neither is her great customer service persona.  

Valued Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

Namealreadytaken, That snobby salesperson was obviously mistaken. JCP does carry a line called  St. John's Bay though.

Exactly - and to "snobby" I'd add "ill-informed"! 

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Respected Contributor

I used to wear Chicos exclusively, but since the quality went down so drastically, I hardly ever buy.  They have always played games with pricing, and even with the better quality back then, the clothing was never worth the regular price.  I mostly pruchase from the Traveler's collection, so I still have many of those pieces since that style tends to stick around. 

Honored Contributor

A good part of my casual wardrobe is from Chico's. (purchased with 50% off codes)  You are all absolutely correct, the quality has taken a nosedive and they play games with pricing.

Last year I did get some great cashmere sweaters which I am looking forward to wearing (hopefully) soon.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Chicos never sold silk, lace, cashmere and satin.  They always sold synthetics.  Chicos was never in the same league as Talbots.  Chicos hasn't changed at all, in my opinion.  I liked and still like their jackets.  At one time, I added one or two a year to my wardrobe.  However, the prices have gone up.  Now when I see one I really like, the price is a deal breaker for me.  Chicos is selling more casual, easy care, relaxed clothing but every retailer and designer is doing that now.....it's what's in style.   

They have in the past and they have items in stock now.

Honored Contributor

i still buy items from chicos, but only when i have coupons and/or they are on sale or clearance. i can still find things i like from them. i pretty much only buy online because of their free shipping AND because of mr rebates. i can then try it on at home. whatever doesnt work i can return to the store which is only about a mile away.

i have been buying more marla wynne lately from hsn and more jjill items. i am not a huge fan of talbots anymore. i do like some items in white house black market but i think many of their items are overpriced for what they are. love the casual/lounge line from soma.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

The handful of times I've been to Chico's over the years, I wasn't impressed.  I remember 1x hunting down a jeans skirt and Chico's had some.  I tried on the 2 smallest sizes (all vanity sizing)   At least back then, the smallest number swallowed me up.  Probably now I could wear their smallest size, but have no desire to shop there.  I have my favorite shops where I can count on quality and true sizing plus GOOD customer care.  They basically ignore you at Chico's..  I guess in their case that's a good thing ..... Smiley Happy