Honored Contributor

What's Your Holy Grail Turtleneck?

If you love turtlenecks like I do, have you ever found your perfect one? Yesterday when I bought the aran sweater at TJ Maxx I also bought a charcoal grey turtleneck. The brand name is Grace. It's 83 % rayon and 17% nylon. Which might be the secret.

When I tried it on I think angels were singing😄 The neck isn't too tight, too oversized, or too loose. The body fit in my usual medium is perfection. It's so soft and slinky enough to layer over it. It was $16.99. I wanted to go back and see if they had another one, but I had to get home.

I found some online, I think I definitely need the navy. I'm tempted to replace all my basic color turtlenecks with this one, but I don't know how it will hold up to wash and wear. I just hate when turtlenecks stretch and bag out. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: What's Your Holy Grail Turtleneck?

I kind of avoid turtlenecks...

Honored Contributor

I never thought about a holy grail turtlneck.  When I lived in Western NY, I had plenty of them.  Cold weather, plus I was an avid skiier.

Now, in southern CA, I don't have them and never see them on anyone else.

Honored Contributor

I Feel Bad About My Neck — Nora Ephron book🙂

I am just turning into a turtleneck person.  I tried a SG liquid knit one but it went back.  The IM Pima cotton one is nice but not perfect so my hunt is just starting.

Trusted Contributor

i love turtlenecks too! and i prefer the tight neck fit because the loose style doesn’t look good on me. i like ralph lauren, and i have good fitting ones too from gap and old navy. all hold up very well in the wash. 

Honored Contributor

My preferences are Chico's and LandsEnd.  That's where I buy most of mine.   Different fabrics and blends.  I layer turtlenecks under everything in the cooler weather.   They take up about 4' of my closet rod!

SG's recent TSV set of 2 liquid knit tops aren't bad ... but her color / print choices aren't so great.  What they do have going for them is that they are "slippery" and layers don't cling.

Honored Contributor

My favorite turtlenecks came from Christopher and banks (no longer in the mall). They are sleeveless with the mock neck and the fabrication is 63% rayon, 33% poly, 4% spandex. I get too warm with too many layers.

Honored Contributor

I love my thicker Ralph Lauren cotton, model, nylon.  Very soft.  I'm very cold natured.  They're perfect.

Respected Contributor

For layering pieces, I prefer Lands End and LLBean.

For sweaters I also like Lands End and LLBean, as well as Talbot's and Brooks Brothers. I only wear natural fibers, but a bit of spandex to help it hold it's shape is fine as well. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

I love Linea's Whisper Knit turtlenecks.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004