Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: What's With the Polyester in fashion?

@Carmie : Boy do I agree with you about silk and poly not looking the same.

I had what I thought was a lovely outfit in a very silky polyester. I felt great.

Had to go to some event for work where I had to man a table with the company's information. There were a few women there in beautiful silk. Oh my did my outfit suddenly look cheap. 

This was quite a few years ago but just could not comfortably wear that outfit again. 

I do wear polyester or polyester blends still as I’m retired and my life is casual. I own no silks anymore.

Honored Contributor

I still have some silk blouses from Bob Mackie from years ago, and that I bought elsewhere.  Only a couple have to be dry cleaned.

From my point of view - the only difference between them and some of the new poly and rayon fabrics is that the silk wrinkles more.  I'm fussy - so I do run an iron over my poly and rayons.

Honored Contributor

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

i'm not a construction worker that stands outside all day in the summer.  i have a very large collection of Susan Graver's liquid knit that I wear all year round.  I love her essentials line the best.   Her tops are fabulous because they're wash and wear, they don't pill or wrinkle.  I doubt I'll be in any forest fires aound here where I live.   Have to admit I have slowed down on my purchases from her due to price increases.  

You go girl. SG's liquid knit is the BOMB!!!

Based on a slew of past posts, I would say that this response is an attempt at sarcasm.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's amazing what they've done with polyester these days! It's nothing like what we used to see. I have some Slinky Polyester that breathes well in the hot Miami Heat which frankly I was surprised at. They've also engineered 100% cotton not to wrinkle! Oh the choices we have!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trying on an item for fit and comfort is more important to me than the fabric content. 

I prefer a cotton/poly blend because it is so easy to care for and has a soft hand. I also own items that are all poly & all cotton & clothing that has rayon or modal.

I find 100% cotton shrinks on the first wash even when following laundering directions which totally irritates me. In my experience rayon pills and modal is thin. Some poly feels better and drapes better than others. 

Lots of choices & varying qualities of fabrics out there which is why I like to shop in person, feel the fabrics, and try on before buying. 

Respected Contributor

in a word - INEXPENSIVE (ingredient).