Trusted Contributor

Re: What's With the Polyester in fashion?

I also like the blends more than the 100% poly. I find that there's more static cling in all poly. The air is fairly dry where I live, and I'm constantly getting shocked. I don't like when the poly sticks to my body, and I keep forgetting to buy that static spray. Woman Tongue I often like how the poly drapes and flows and think it adds a softness to an outfit, but the static problem is the main reason I don't often reach for those items in my closet. They look better on the models than they do in my real life. 

I wish more clothes would have bamboo in it. It's a renewable source that grows quickly, and it's super soft and feels great next to the skin. I also like rayon and modal. It's funny that they always compare the new poly to silk. I can't remember the last time I felt silk since it's so expensive. How many viewers know what silk even feels like? Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@pinkmochi   I own 100% silk clothing.  I own a beautiful dress and a couple of blouses. No polyester fabric even come close to being the same.

I agree with you about bamboo fabric.  I'd like to see more of it.   

Honored Contributor

Bamboo is a type of rayon.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

i'm not a construction worker that stands outside all day in the summer.  i have a very large collection of Susan Graver's liquid knit that I wear all year round.  I love her essentials line the best.   Her tops are fabulous because they're wash and wear, they don't pill or wrinkle.  I doubt I'll be in any forest fires aound here where I live.   Have to admit I have slowed down on my purchases from her due to price increases.  

You go girl. SG's liquid knit is the BOMB!!!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  You hit the nail on the head.  Polyester is hot.  I always heard Susan G. talking about her liquid knit so I purchased a top on sale (thank goodness it was under $20).  Talk about hot, I was sweating.  Never again.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I find polyester to be clammy feeling because it doesn't breathe. Horrible in the warmer months. It just doesn't feel comfortable against my skin, so I do not buy it.
Respected Contributor

@LadyIrese 

Polyester is cheap as you stated, so QVC will continue to sell brands that use lots of it.  I hate it too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

... can stick to the skin if ignited...

If I am ignited, i suspect it will be bad, no matter what i wear

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I only buy 100% cotton or other natural materials.  I hate polyester.  It is plastic, cheap and holds stains and turns yellow and cannot be made white again.

Unfortunately, the price of cotton has gone up over the last couple of years.  Most people do not want to pay the higher prices, so the manufacturers now mix cotton with polyester or make the cotton fabric thinner.

Also, there are people who do not  like cotton because they want to just wash and put everything into a hot clothes dryer.  Some hate ironing.

There are retailers out there who sell 100% quality cotton clothing, that doesn't shrink, fade or stretch out of shape and doesn't need ironing with proper care.  

I don't buy QVC clothing because it doesn't suit me due to the fit and fabric, but I have found what I am looking for at Lands End and Christopher Banks...I buy on sale and the prices are lower than QVC's inflated prices.

I have found that Lands End has much better prices than qvc for some basics that I like to buy.

Honored Contributor

I don't iron so I find tops with polyester in them are so easy to wash and wear.  I don't find the material to be too hot in the summer.