What's With the Polyester in fashion?

I've noticed a huge addition of polyester to many fashions -- including Denim & Co. I am allergic to the fabric. Know it's cheaper, but you're losing a fashion customer by the increase of polyester. Can we get more cotton and rayon back, please?

Respected Contributor

Re: What's With the Polyester in fashion?

I like the mixture of cotton or rayon with poly.  It sure helps with the washability without shrinkage and  the wrinkle factor and I gave away my iron years ago!  One of my new favorite blends is cotton and modal.

Esteemed Contributor

some polyester looks really nice.  i am liking the new poly woven blouses with real design that the q has been featuring more recently.  And i hate ironing.  I bought some of qvc's 100% cotton and it requires ironing and is not durable.  I also tried the pima cotton and i did not likem it is too heavy.  No more 100% cotton for me.

Honored Contributor

There's nothing wrong with polyester but you are allergic to it so obviously, you have to look for alternatives but they certainly are available.  They don't put polyester in everything.  I believe polyester is added to reduce wrinkly and add softness to fabrics. It's not about cost, you can find very expensive items in high end stores that are poly blends. 

Honored Contributor

Poly is plastic so it's hot. Nothing wrong with adding a small amount to help with wrinkling or shrinkage. Not buying anything 100% poly or even 50% poly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only buy 100% cotton or other natural materials.  I hate polyester.  It is plastic, cheap and holds stains and turns yellow and cannot be made white again.

Unfortunately, the price of cotton has gone up over the last couple of years.  Most people do not want to pay the higher prices, so the manufacturers now mix cotton with polyester or make the cotton fabric thinner.

Also, there are people who do not  like cotton because they want to just wash and put everything into a hot clothes dryer.  Some hate ironing.

There are retailers out there who sell 100% quality cotton clothing, that doesn't shrink, fade or stretch out of shape and doesn't need ironing with proper care.  

I don't buy QVC clothing because it doesn't suit me due to the fit and fabric, but I have found what I am looking for at Lands End and Christopher Banks...I buy on sale and the prices are lower than QVC's inflated prices.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those reading QVC's Review section, you see a lot of buyers like polyester because it's wash and wear...doesn't shrink, fade, doesn't need ironing, and reasonably priced.  A lot complain of wrinkling, fading, shrinking, ironing, dry cleaning, with natural fabrics.

This may be why there is so much of it on QVC.  

Honored Contributor

Today's poly fibers are a vast improvement of those from the 70s.  No comparison.     

I guess I'm one of the few around here who really likes polyester!  Both knit and woven (peachskin, e.g.) poly fabrics.  Also a big fan of Lyocell/Tencel  fibers.  Been adding to my collection recently via C Wonder clearance items.   The first Tencel I can recall buying was from a shop locally about 8 or so years ago.  They look like chambray pants ... and I'm still wearing them.  

A couple of years ago I discovered LandsEnd Thermaskin (94/6 poly/span) and Hanes Cool-Dri (100% poly).  These are the perfect layering fabrics for me.   

I stil buy some cotton blends from LandsEnd, but truthfully, I don't wear much cotton.  I'm also a big fan of rayon and acrylic fabrics.  

Honored Contributor

I won't buy all poly either.  At 50% I consider it a very long time.  "How many months can I wear this item comfortably"?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i'm not a construction worker that stands outside all day in the summer.  i have a very large collection of Susan Graver's liquid knit that I wear all year round.  I love her essentials line the best.   Her tops are fabulous because they're wash and wear, they don't pill or wrinkle.  I doubt I'll be in any forest fires aound here where I live.   Have to admit I have slowed down on my purchases from her due to price increases.