Esteemed Contributor

What popular brands or retailers do you not visit or purchase from?

What popular brands or retailers do you never visit or purchase from? With so many companies trying anything and everything including trying to sell you shopping as an experience, which business or brand does not interest you?

For me, I have never purchased from ebay. I don't want to buy used clothes or iffy cosmetics.

I have never purchased clothes, shoes, or makeup from Amazon in the U.S. Or Canada. I don't like their game playing prices and I would worry about counterfeits.

I have never purchased anything from Lululemon as their sizes only go up to a size 12.

I have never purchased anything except food from a restaurant from Nordstrom in Canada. I am not paying a fortune in parking fees by the hour to park downtown, their Canadian prices are too high and their website is converted from high U.S. Currency. I do not need to buy a shopping experience from a flagship store.

I have not bought any cosmetics from Sephora's website. I am not going to be jacked up by adding on to an order so I can reach free shipping when I can easily visit a store in person.

Honored Contributor

Re: What popular brands or retailers do you not visit or purchase from?

The available stores near where I live are extremely limited. I do most of my shopping online, and I just Google for bargains. I won't buy online from Gap any more because for some unknown reason two orders never made it to my door. The nearest Gap is in a mall in the next state over, I never go there.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That would be many. I am a niche buyer.  I have my own stores that I like to shop and call it "tunnel vision" or whatever, but I just shop from a few retailers unless someone is wearing something or has something from another that catches my eye so I want to go into that establishment or buy from that place online. 

I have recently started shopping at Tradesy on line and have bought scarves from E-Bay.  I have two Savlatore Ferragamo scarves and one Hermes from E-Bay.  Friends told me of a store that I would not have to fear authenticity, so in that case, I shopped there.  E-bay is not so much consignment as it once was.  Much of it has become a lot like Amazon.  So, the only thing I might buy there now would be items such as I described or handbags.

I think they are similar to a Big Lots on line of cloting, among other things.

Honored Contributor

Life is too short to make a list of "don'ts". How about all the "do's"??

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Macy's......since they charged me a fee even though I paid the bill in full a week after my purchase..

Honored Contributor

WalMart never for food, clothing or anything else. Also Talbots or Macy's (yes there are people that refuse to shop there) Old Navy,  or H & M.

Places I once shopped and no more.  Ebay (haven't been at the site for years) Banana Republic and Loft, Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister.  QVC for clothes HSN or Evine(for clothes) Gap (before I discovered American made jeans) Forever 21 (I'm not 21 any longer) 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

eBay is not all "used" stuff.  I've never had a problem buying cosmetics on eBay either.  But I only buy from sellers with a 100% feedback score.

Whenever I buy anything I check Amazon first.  They're usually.cheaper.

Honored Contributor

Walmart. Only because they are in a town I won’t go to. That is the only one in my area.

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Macy's......since they charged me a fee even though I paid the bill in full a week after my purchase..

Happened to my sister too.  She addressed it in person at the CS kisok.  Had the cancelled check and bill in hand.  THey still refused to adjust stating it was part of their  credit card agreement. 

She cancelled her card and doesn't shop there anymore.  I pretty rarely go there  and I certainly have enough other credit that I don't need to use theirs. 

(store in my town is very small and never has anything worthwihile)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not know how to answer such a broad question.  I'm not afraid of online shopping but I don't ever purchase anything from small "mom&pop" retailers or from retailers that I never heard of.  I wouldn't buy anything from "Mary in Peoria" just because she has a website with interesting things on it.  I'm a big Amazon shopper but I know how Amazon works, I've been with Amazon since Amazon started and just sold books so I've seen it evolve.  I'm always surprised that people don't really know what Amazon is, they don't understand Amazon at all.  I have indeed bought from Sephora.  Why the heck would I drive to a Sephora store for something I know I want when I can order it online have it delivered to my door?  What would be the upside to that?   However, I love browsing around Sephora and Ulta stores because that's how I discover new things.  It's fun.  It seems like you just don't like the online shopping experience.  That's ok.  Different strokes.  I buy almost everything online or through an app on my phone.  I have embraced the modern world.