Esteemed Contributor

What percentages of fashion purchases are internet or bricks and mortar?

I read various fashion blogs including ones focused on the fashion business and of course this past year wasn't a good one for many bricks and mortar retailers. So that got me to look at my own fashion purchases for 2016 and I estimate that 24% of my fashion purchases were from the internet while the rest were bought from bricks and mortar stores.

But when I look at my shoe purchases, only 8% were internet purchases because I feel I must try on shoes in person for fit and comfort first before ever buying them online.

I bought 2 handbags for myself last year and one for my daughter as a present, and all were internet purchases. I bought no handbags at all from a bricks and mortar store last year.

And I didn't buy anything using a company's mobile app at all last year, they were all made on a computer and one purchase only through my ipad web browser. I never make purchases with my iphone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What percentages of fashion purchases are internet or bricks and mortar?

@TY, I really wish I could order more clothing online. I couldn't tell you percentages of what I have bought online vs brick and mortar. I have ordered several things from Macy's that I have had luck with, as well as Banana Republic & victoria's secret. Some of the sweaters from Macy's were small, so I gave them to my daughter, I guess all in all it worked out. Jeans I definitely want to try on as well as shoes. I have weird feet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Practically none on the net........but this year, I scooped up a bunch of palazzo pants on clearance on HSN.     I'm pretty short (under 5')..........and believe-it-or-not, these things seem to add "height"..........     (Now I have to shorten all these, not a chore I welcome)!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I bought a high percentage on the internet via my kindle.  

Esteemed Contributor

@TY wrote:

I read various fashion blogs including ones focused on the fashion business and of course this past year wasn't a good one for many bricks and mortar retailers. So that got me to look at my own fashion purchases for 2016 and I estimate that 24% of my fashion purchases were from the internet while the rest were bought from bricks and mortar stores.

But when I look at my shoe purchases, only 8% were internet purchases because I feel I must try on shoes in person for fit and comfort first before ever buying them online.

I bought 2 handbags for myself last year and one for my daughter as a present, and all were internet purchases. I bought no handbags at all from a bricks and mortar store last year.

And I didn't buy anything using a company's mobile app at all last year, they were all made on a computer and one purchase only through my ipad web browser. I never make purchases with my iphone.

I very rarely shop in B&M stores for anything.  Much of my clothing, shoes and cosmetic purchases are done online.  I can do that with certain brands I'm familiar with so long as their sizing remains true.  I also shop where I can get free shipping.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

my internet shopping is pretty high. sometimes even if i see something in the store i know i can come home, find a coupon, use mr rebates, and order it online for less than buying it in the store.

if i had to guess my internet purchases are probably at 80%.

it is so much easier and faster to shop online.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I bought several things on line I can't get here.

One reason buying was likely down in this past year was due to it being an election year.  I've been in retail after retiring from teaching and quite a few sales people will tell you that as well as expect it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

An interesting topic, and one I have been noticing for a while.

Hands down, I am part of the brick and mortar demise-

I buy almost exclusively online or by catalogue.  I am happy to say

I don't return much either because I have learned my sizes in the

various clothing and shoe lines. 

From QVC --I only ordered 18 clothing items in 2016

From Amazon--many pairs of shoes and some makeup/baby clothes

From LandsEnd--lots of clothing for my granddaughters

From LLBean--almost all my husband's clothes

From Jockey online--underwear for my husband and underwear for me

As far as brick and mortar, I have purchased leggings, jackets, henley tops

from Costco.  My husband has purchased shorts and a few jackets at Costco.

Also some merino wool socks for both of us at Costco.

I rarely go into department stores anymore.  There is a mall in the town where I live with a Macy's, and I rarely shop there.

The Macy's in Monterey I have walked through several times in the past year,

but mostly leave empty handed.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't include my beauty purchases but I only bought a regular and travel size tube of IT Cosmetics CC cream SPF 50 and 3 tubes of Tweek'd hair cleansers and a jar of cream from the internet in 2016. Everything else beauty was bought from bricks and mortar stores. I would estimate that my beauty purchases were 98% done at bricks and mortar and 2% done online.

Honored Contributor

I buy exclusively all fashion (including footwear) online. Very rarely do I ever have to return anything.